logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline lancehud  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 8:17:57 PM(UTC)
lancehud

Groups: Registered

This is my 3rd batch, first 2 with HS 48 hour Turbo and Turbo Pure went well. Latest Batch is similar: 6 gallons, 15 lbs sugar, High Spirits Vodka Turbo yeast. Had a heat band on it in the house so it should have stayed around 80 degrees. Fermentation seemed to go well and after it settled a couple days I applied Sparkolloid per the instructions, which had worked well on my first 2 batches. It basically cleared well again except that when it was done there was a whole lot of these little Clouds. Most appeared to be on top but some where scattered at different levels in the wash. I waited a couple of days but they didn't clear. I skimmed most of them off of the top which was difficult because if you look at them sideways they break apart and then racked it into another bucket. Then I applied Sparkolloid again.
The next day it was very clear except that the little clouds are back. I watched them for a while and saw that they were rising from the bottom of the bucket, many came to the top but some just rose part way. I decided to rack it as best I could and when I got to the bottom inch or so of the bucket I could see that it was covered with these little clouds so I quit and tossed that part.

Anybody got any idea what's going on and how I might keep this from happening again or how to deal with it if it does happen again?

While I'm here, I've a related question. After fermentation can you just clear and rack or should you rack, clear and then rack again?

Thanks for any input. Neat hobby.

More Info:

I just tried cooking the first gallon batch of this in my Easy Still. Cook didn't seem to be producing as much as usual. Got about a pint in the time it usually produces a quart. Just tested it and the first pint came out at only 15% alcohol, the next 1/2 pint (again less production than usual) came out at only 10%. The only thing I can think of is maybe I didn't mix the yeast long enough, there were tiny specs still visible when I thought good enough?

I appreciate any insight.

Edited by user Monday, February 20, 2017 10:26:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: New Info

Offline FredHickory  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 5:17:07 PM(UTC)
FredHickory

Groups: Registered

What head temps did you get at your cuts?