logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rogo  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2016 8:07:53 AM(UTC)
Rogo

Groups: Registered

I'm beginning the process of distillation and wonder if there's a guideline or two of the amount of charred white oak chips per liter of distillate. Also, while I'm at-it, what are members using for containers during the aging process?
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2016 3:57:16 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I use 1/2 gal mason jars and 1/2 gal jugs at cask strength(around 129 proof) I use a handful at a time. If after a few days you aren't getting any color add some more. What kind of chips are you using ? It makes a difference in the color and flavor
Offline RCRed  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2016 8:54:34 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Depends on what I am trying to do, depth of color/effect on the spirit to be chip-aged, and speed.

Now, that said, here is what I mean. If I am doing a small special hearts set for myself, or I've a small batch of hearts that is very tasty, I use pint jars, 2 tablespoons of chips each.

this is of course after it has been diluted for proof and let sit a day to settle. Please don't age on undiluted spirits - it ain' right-The process relies on the H2O molecules to aid in oxidation. As said above, the type of chip and level of toast has everything to do with the outcome. For my sweet feed washes (my fav) I use French oak, medium toast. So, that 2 Table spoons I mentioned above is for that chip and toasting level.

I have also used applewood chips that I made from applewood chunks for the grill - Some neutrals take that on and have a slight fruity accent along with the heavy toast color (I toast the apple wood chips till they are dark=heavy).

Most of the joy in our hobby is finding that balance one likes and then perfecting the science to reproduce that result over and over. And sadly, all we can do is offer suggestions on how to paint ones picture :)

Be sure to aerate your containers at least once every 2 weeks (Pop the lid to let in fresh air, secure it back and shake like hell for a minute-set container upside down if possible) - then you can see what's working and what ain't, add chips, remove some.. Add spirit, remove some, etc..

Inside of two weeks you should see changes;
  • 1 month=Things will be shaping up very nicely
  • 3 months=hard to keep from snarfing it down..
  • 6 months=Have the missus aerate it because you can no longer be trusted
  • 1 year=Peeing with the big dawgs. Your friends will offer you their spouses for a night to have a jar.
Cheers

Edited by user Saturday, November 26, 2016 9:03:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: 'cause my hillbillae brain always thinks of more to say...

thanks 1 user thanked RCRed for this useful post.
rims513 on 12/1/2016(UTC)