logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Magnum  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2016 10:00:57 AM(UTC)
Magnum

Groups: Registered

Should I use a bubbler or airlock when brewing a molasses rum mash? This is my second run of mash and the first one I used a bubbler and it stopped working after two days. I got ok results when I cooked it. I was worried that I'm starving the yeast with no oxygen.

Thanks

Magnium
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2016 6:10:29 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Yes you should definitely use a airlock. If your wash or mash get too much o2 it will work towards creating vinegar instead of alcohol. And yes, starving the yeast of o2 from the outside atmosphere is exactly what you want.
Now then, you need to oxygenate your wash before you add yeast and you do that by stirring vigorously or by adding the rest of your water to top off your fermenter with a garden hose on the jet setting. That will add o2 into the wash for yeast consumption.
Hope this helps.......

Offline Magnum  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 29, 2016 10:57:56 AM(UTC)
Magnum

Thanks Heeler. I have it airlocked and I'm on day three and its still bubbling. One more question, do you recommend stirring it at all after you add the yeast? Like on day 2 or 3?

My questions come as my first attempt at rum didn't go as well. It worked really fast for two days and then quit completely. It made 2 1/2 quarts of product, but not anything like I thought it should.

The only real difference is that in this mash, I used a rum turbo yeast for Brewhaus and in the first one, I just used a regular turbo yeast.

Magnum
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 29, 2016 1:32:08 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
you can stir if you want to, it wont hurt but may allow unwanted nasties in............

You mentioned how fast your wash worked off, well you said you used a turbo, that's how a turbo works, hard and fast. I'm sure it tells you that on the package.

As to the amount of likker you collect, that relates back to the size of your wash. If you got 2 qt's I bet your wash was five gallons or so. Remember you should only get about 10% capture from your run and not everything that comes out of the still is drinkable.
Offline Magnum  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 29, 2016 4:15:59 PM(UTC)
Magnum

Yeah, it was 5 gallons of mash. We dumped the first 5 ounces and cut it off the tail when the oils started coming out.

I just expected the turbo yeast to run about 4 or 5 days. That package indicated that it would go up to 5 days so I wondered if I made a goof somewhere along the line.

Thanks for the help. Hoping to run this rum batch in a few days and move onto an attempt at a fruit and sugar run or a corn type mash.

Magnum.