logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Brrit  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 25, 2015 6:05:11 PM(UTC)
Brrit

Groups: Registered

I'm looking at buying a Brewhaus still and like the idea of using my pool for water cooling, but I do wonder if the pool water (saltwater) would do any damage to the still or my end product. Any thoughts out there?
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 25, 2015 6:19:19 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
the water is only used for the condenser to cool it. doesn't come in contact with the product.
thanks 1 user thanked dieselduo for this useful post.
Brrit on 12/2/2015(UTC)
Offline John Barleycorn  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:10:12 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Do a search for "stainless steel salt water" with your favorite search engine. Here's a few quotes (emphasis added) that might help you evaluate your situation:

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/Corrosion:
Quote:

Stainless steel, the dominant material in rigging today, is susceptible to its own special form of decay: crevice corrosion, also known as oxygen starvation. Stainless steel contains significant amounts of chromium. When exposed to the atmosphere the surface oxidizes slightly and a thin film of chromium oxide forms, preventing any further oxidation. If exposed to water, salt or fresh, without the presence of air, this film will not form and the metal will corrode. If the water in question is salt water, the process is accelerated.

"You risk oxygen starvation anytime you cover stainless, as when applying spreader boots, shroud rollers, or service. The trick is to exclude both water and air. When serving, some anhydrous lanolin covered with proper parceling and service works fine. Lanolin or mineral oil under shroud rollers is also good. Just rinsing stainless with fresh water whenever you can will lessen the corrosive effects of salt water.
Offline Hokey  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 8:39:17 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have used my pool to cool my still for about three years now. My water is not salt water though. Just regular chlorinated h20. I have not had any problems at all. I think the rinsing would take care of any issues.

Scott
thanks 1 user thanked Hokey for this useful post.
Brrit on 12/2/2015(UTC)