logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dasorge  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:10:35 PM(UTC)
dasorge

Groups: Registered

I've been tinkering with the idea of doing an all rye batch. Most of what I have done to date has been using cracked corn, barley and sometimes adding rye. My bill consists of 6 gal of water and 10 pounds of grain. ie, 8 pounds of corn/2 pounds of barley or 7 pounds of corn and 1 1/2 each of barley and rye or some combination to achieve 10 pounds with corn being the main ingredient. The yeast I use is a grain yeast with AG. I've been happy with my product.

I would think that one cannot do a all rye mash as the rye would need some conversion help. I did see a recipe calling for 9 pounds of rye and 1 pound of barley. If one were to do an all rye batch what would needed to added to help with the conversion? I have seen some recipes where one can use 6 pounds of rye, 2 pounds of corn and 2 pounds of barley. I know that to be a true rye whisky, the rye in the grain bill has to be more than 51%.

dasorge
Offline Hokey  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 8:49:05 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I don't see why some Alpha and Gluco Amaylase enzymes wouldn't get the rye starches to convert I have not done one but I have been reading a little on mashing because my nest one will be an 20 lbs of malted barley and 2 lbs of Crystal 40.

Scott