logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2007 3:05:10 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Has anyone gone to the moonshine jamboree last year in Georgia. If so was it worth going to. I see this year it is on September 22, and was thinking of going for the week, however it is about 800 miles and want to make sure it will be worth the trip.

pamike
#2 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2007 8:57:28 AM(UTC)

That"s the place where Deliverance was filmed. "He sure has a purdy mouth!" "Squeal like a pig boy"
I live 12 miles away and didn"t know about it. Nice area for a visit.
#3 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2007 10:32:39 AM(UTC)

Mike and Bubba, I just recently learned and read about it in 'More Mountain Spirits'.

I will be there if at all possible.

What a great opportunity for those that can make it, to meet in person, and share tall tales together. ,I think home distillers are related to fishermen, the proof is always higher, the taste is always perfect, got 5 gal. out of that 6 gal mash pond, and you should have seen the one that got away!!!,. We could have an annual reunion? I really look forward to it and meeting any and all that perhaps can attend.

Bubba, since you know the area, meybe twixt now and then, you could set up a meeting place and a good restraunt, or even better a place we could all chip in and have a cookout or a pig pulling?

meybe a kid with a banjo or uke? And of course, anyone can take a leisurly tour of the river in canoes. Meybe, a fish fry?

Anyone have a link internet, to this occasion?

Spread the word, this could be the party, and vacation of the year.
#4 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2007 10:41:09 PM(UTC)

Mike and Bubba,
Boy do I second John's request of more info! That does sound like a great must do event. And tall tales? I've so many that got away... Georgia, 2500 miles away; have moonshine - will travel.
PJ Lily
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 24, 2007 1:26:35 PM(UTC)

Dose any one know if their are any distilling activities going on in PA or North Carolina this summer
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 24, 2007 2:16:42 PM(UTC)

brenden,
there is an annual moonshiners jamboree in climax, virginia. but i do believe it's in the fall. i'm not sure the exact date, but i'll try to find out something.
buzzman
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 24, 2007 2:27:39 PM(UTC)

brenden or anyone else,
i actually remembered i had a card from the jamboree in my wallet from last year. it's in august normally. and it's really a bluegrass type of thing. alot of bluegrass bands from the area get this thing together to honor all the local shiners from years past and present. there is of course some stills set up fer demonstration purposes. and i think last year i heard tell of a film crew from the history channel, i think, was there. i didn't go 'cause it interfered with my trip to the annual sturgis, south dakota bike rally. so i'm not fer sure if the tale i was told was true or not.
buzzman
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 24, 2007 2:57:42 PM(UTC)

#9 Posted : Saturday, February 24, 2007 3:37:59 PM(UTC)

Thanks Bubba, thats only an hour away from me. I love that section. For any interested this is a beautiful portal into the Great Smokies, and that date is a specially nice time of year to visit.

Brenden, I can personally gaurantee there will be some distilling activity going on in NC this summer. However, You got me to thinking, this would be a perfect addition to the Highlander games at Grandfather mountain. A Celtic event just ain't complete without it. I think I'll try to contact them about this. Wouldn't it be fun for a bunch of us to set up a 100 gal. old time copper pot still with a load of corn squeezings? Legally permitted and all. I've always wanted one to decorate a corner of my liveing room-and that would be the perfect excuse. Nice thumper, copper worm. What the heck would we use for a fermenter? And legally, would we have to drink it all there, or could we take it home with us?
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 24, 2007 4:40:46 PM(UTC)

would any of you know if there any festival like this in the south carolina area? greenville spartanburg.
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 24, 2007 7:40:26 PM(UTC)

The Jamboree in Georgia on 9/22 looks like a go for me. I have my house for sale in PA and was thinking a looking for a place in Georgia or NC, lived on the coast of mississippi and got blown away with Katrina, so need to buy in the next two years. Anyway I probably will take 3 - 5 cases of quarts to the 9/22 maybe more. Just came back from Lowes Motor Speedway and 5 cases went real quick but I was there for over a week. I was wondering if there are enough of us in the PA, NY, NJ, MD, VA areas the get together in so time in spring or early summer and have our own mini jamboree. Trade lies and hooch. If there is anyone interested in trying to help me put something like this together let me know. Everyone welcome.
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:46:27 AM(UTC)

Hey, you left out WV! I can mini jamboree any time. Georgia in September will work for me as well even if I'm in FL by then.

Sit around and drink hooch and tell lies? Hmmmm I can handle that. That's what my wife accuses me of all the time anyway.

Cheers.
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:03:00 PM(UTC)

U suck and everyone hates you
#14 Posted : Monday, February 26, 2007 1:20:43 AM(UTC)

Wow Jack, a little harsh. And for your first post to!
#15 Posted : Saturday, March 03, 2007 5:12:40 AM(UTC)

It was just pointed out to me, that there are quite a few campgrounds in that area, but also a lot of festivals going on around that time, and the leaves are beginning to change.

You may want to make your reservations early.
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2007 2:06:48 AM(UTC)

I will go to the chamber of commerce and get some information on hotels and campgrounds in the area. John was very accurate about the place filling up that time of year. If it"s tourist season why can"t we shoot them?
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2007 4:24:33 AM(UTC)

Bubba:

'If it"s tourist season why can"t we shoot them?'

Mainly because we're gonna be the tourists!! AND we're bring highly flamable bottles.

Cheers,
Offline flyboytr  
#18 Posted : Friday, September 07, 2007 1:48:42 AM(UTC)
flyboytr

Groups: Registered

I'm trying to find out if anyone is planning to attend the Jamboree?

We (wife and me) have scheduled a long weekend so we could attend. At present we do not have exact destination/arrival plans. Your input would be appreciated!

FlyboyTR :)
Offline flyboytr  
#19 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2007 10:08:19 AM(UTC)
flyboytr

Groups: Registered

Just a Bump! BigGrin

We are one week away. It's a 450 mile trip for us...one way. We are planning on attending but would certainly like to meet up with a few folks for some visiting. Is anyone going?

RICK... can you move this topic from the old section over to the new "Meets" location? THanks

FlyboyTR :)
Offline admin  
#20 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2007 1:33:25 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Not a problem. Done. :)