logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gmansitur  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 06, 2015 1:50:12 PM(UTC)
Gmansitur

Groups: Registered

Hi folks -

I'm new to the forum and did my first reflex run and got 85% ABV with a pure sugar and turbo yeast mash.

I'm running the 6 gallon Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity still with a Blichmann Top Tier burner with natural gas.

I'm trying to get to 95% AVB and am wondering about how to cool the head. Does it make sense to have a slow rate of water flow under lower heat or a high rate of water flow under a higher heat?

Or maybe the cooling isnt the issue? I was running my temps around 177, I was trying to run around 174 but never got any output.

Any input welcomed.

Thanks!

Chris
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 06, 2015 3:22:21 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
try keeping it under reflux longer with water to the head to stack the different fractions before letting the distillate flow. You should get higher ABV then
Offline Gmansitur  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 06, 2015 6:59:40 PM(UTC)
Gmansitur

Thanks dieselduo -

So this means keeping the temp the same (around 177) and adding more water flow to the head?

Sorry for the ignorance, I'm very new to this hobby.

Thanks again,
Chris
Offline dieselduo  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 07, 2015 1:40:01 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

when making a neutral, I keep it in reflux for about 30 to 45 min then gradually cut back on the water flow to the head
Offline Gmansitur  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 08, 2015 8:14:11 AM(UTC)
Gmansitur

Great info, thanks. I was able to 91% ABV.
Offline Whaler Dan  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 08, 2015 9:41:24 AM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

Concerning the original post......I have a difficult time bringing boiler temps up in a fairly short time AND keep the head temp from getting too hot too quickly. So many people talk of throwing high heat at it early and then backing off when they get to a certain temp before flow. I realize we all need to know how each rig runs before we can really dial it in BUT I'm assuming bringing the temps up slower and allowing the column to stabilize WELL before flow is the best way to run a longer reflux before collection. Is this what you guys have found??
Offline dieselduo  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 08, 2015 1:55:32 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

in making neutrals I wait until product starts coming turn back the heat then cut on the water to the head and leave it there until column stabilizes usually 30 to 45 min for mine then cut back the flow to the head. All stills work differently. You have to find the sweet spot for yours BigGrin
Offline Whaler Dan  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 08, 2015 2:08:36 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

Gotcha. The problem I'm having is I can't seem to get the head temp to 173-176 without having it start to spill over. I'm collecting but it's obviously foreshots and some heads. If I turn the heat down or the water flow up I lose head temp. I guess what I'm trying to say is I can't figure out how to get the head temp to proper level and then run at reflux for any length of time to stack the fractions because I start getting condensed vapor down the Liebig. Water temps in the cooler have been monitored with thermo and I try to keep at a fairly reasonable range. Say between 40-55 F. I've been playing with the flow to the head but just a very minute change in volume drops or raises the head temp dramatically. I even wait a few minutes to see if I can regulate it by allowing for some equalization but then it either keeps rising or falling too far. It seems like 175 is the sweet spot but I'd love to find a way to get it to reflux for a time like you guys suggest. I'm getting a good return though. 1.5-1.75 gal of 94 ABV out of a 26 l wash of turbo so I guess I shouldn't complain. But like everyone else , I'm always striving to do better
Offline Hokey  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 09, 2015 10:36:31 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Whaler, the cooling water to the tower will drop the temperature in the top of the tower. During reflux I try to keep the temperature just below where collection starts. Whatever that temperature may be. Your total collection numbers look great so I wouldn't worry too much.
Offline Whaler Dan  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2015 6:05:00 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

Thanks Hokey. Appreciate it. That's kind of the answer I was looking for. I know that we want to collect around 175-177F but that temp sets me up for collection at a substantial rate. So what I was trying to figure out was........ I set up propane and 2 ea 4500 W 220V elements running at 120V In a 13.5 gal SS hi cap. I watch my temps when I start to get heat thru the second column. Then I turn off the propane and dial back the upper element to about 1/3 to 1/4 with an RSC and leave the lower element on full blast. This works well for a 6- 7 gal load in the boiler. Seems I can control the heat pretty well from this stage on. Then it starts spilling over around 157-160 (fores). I didn't know if I should let it run like that till around 177 THEN turn the water flow up to cool the head after I get my fores out of the way. Seems like that would be the way to optimize collection. Then let it sit and reflux for a little while with the water flow turned up to retard collection. After say 30-45 min (Dieselduos suggestion) turn the water down slightly and let her start to spill over. When the run gets towards the end, the temps start to fluctuate and then all of a sudden I get ol faithful geysering out of the parrot. I can't seem to get the end of the run to smooth out. Too much heat ?? even though I turn the heat down and the water up?? Too much packing?? (Don't think so although I am open to advice). Water is cooled via frozen Gatorade bottles Ina cooler augmented by a fresh shot of well water at 45 degrees when needed.
Any and all advice is welcomed as I am taking notes on everything and hope to be of some help in the future to someone else as you guys have been to me through this extraordinarily satisfying hobby

Edited by user Sunday, November 15, 2015 8:55:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Miss type, typo

Offline davidsonralph  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2015 10:12:04 AM(UTC)
davidsonralph

HI, I run full heat (natural gas) until i feel with my hand the distillate rising in the column then back off heat. While having full cooling water to the column I follow the heat up the column and adjust heat until it just barely can't get past the cooling line in colum. I leave it in this reflux 30 minutes. I then slow the water down to the column and allow about 8oz flow through, this would be the nastiest of the nastiest stuff. After 8oz I turn the water full flow back to the column which completely stops flow again and allow it to sit in reflux for another 15 minutes. After the the fifteen minutes I slowly up the heat until it breaks through the cooling lines on top. I control the flow at the beginning with the burner and once I get the rate I want, I typically don't have to touch it again the rest of the way. I personally do not mess with the thermometer. I have a PSII HC.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2015 10:37:30 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: davidsonralph Go to Quoted Post
I personally do not mess with the thermometer.

Neither do I ... and that's what diesel & hokey are suggesting as well. Forget about temps. The reflux ratio is what matters. The thermometer is just there to fill the hole in the bung. Wink

After you draw fores, then stabilize, you need just enough power to maintain a reasonable take off rate while maintaining a good ratio ... without driving your column too hard. That's the sweet spot that takes some experience with your rig to "dial in."

Offline Whaler Dan  
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2015 7:58:17 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

Davidson, John B, Diesel and Hokey.......
Thanks for your insight. I guess I was too focused on the temps so as not to keep nasties in the drink even though my nose would lead me down the right path. I will give it a go next time I do a run and take all your suggestions to heart. I haven't had a bad batch yet and with your suggestions I probably won't ever. Ill keep you guys posted here after the next run. This has been an ever increasingly pleasurable experience when take relatively nothing and make something relatively smoking out of it with help from friends you've never met. Thanks again guys. I truly appreciate your help.
Offline Hokey  
#14 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2015 9:48:53 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Huh , you need just enough power to maintain a reasonable take off rate while maintaining a good ratio ... without driving your column too hard.

I've got a PSIIHC and. I use 2, 2000 watt elements during heat up and 1 element with controller the rest of the way with a 12 gallon still charge. Less power may give you a more consistent run.
Keep us posted.
Offline Whaler Dan  
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2015 8:48:54 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

Hokey, are those elements 220 volt running on 110 or 110 v running on 110. I'm assuming it is the latter. When I put my rig together Rick suggested 2 ea. 4500 watt 220 elements running off 110. I run the lower one plugged in. The upper one is on an RSC. When running it in the colder months I need both of them running to keep temps even close to 170. In the warmer months I can turn the upper one almost off and have a good take off rate. If my math is right ..... 2 ea. 4500 watt 220 volt elements running on 110 volts would give my approx 1125 watts off each element times 2 elements equals 2250 watts with one of them on a controller. Pretty much what you're running IF I have YOUR rig figured correctly.
Offline Hokey  
#16 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2015 6:59:01 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Hi, Sorry for the delay. Both elements are 2000 watt, 110 volt elements run on different 20 amp circuits. The bottom one is controlled by the controller I built similar to the "My alternative to a speed controller" on this site. When I get up to temp I can use only the bottom one. Although the controller is almost all the way up. I run in my pool house during the spring, summer and fall but will soon be moving into the garage due to the fact that it is getting freezing up here in New England.