logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Hokey  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 02, 2015 1:37:38 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I've been distilling for around 4 years. Mostly neutrals. But have made some very nice UJSSM whisky.
Now I'm trying for the first time doing stripping runs on my neutrals. (Wineos) 6.5 gals at a time. I'm using my 7.5 gal boiler with 3" tower pot mode. Electric with no controller. Leibig condenses everything just fine. Starts collecting at 70% +/- and I go deep into tails to 25% or so. It takes about 3 hours total. I have three strips done and two more fermenting. That should give me enough to fill my 15 gal boiler @ 40% ABV. At least that is what I'm thinking. If not I'll do more strips. Then I'll do a spirit run that will probably take all day. haha I'm looking forward to see the
results compared tho the way I have been doing it.
Offline Hokey  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2015 7:21:44 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Just to let you know. I will be doing stripping runs from now on. The spirit run did take all day, actually two, but the end result was my best yet.
Offline davidsonralph  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:20:01 PM(UTC)
davidsonralph

I usually do 4 6gallon stripping runs for my spirit run. This in no way fills my 15 gallon boiler but allows my spirit run to be a manageable time. My spirit run usually takes about 6 hours. I think what saves me time is knowing when the tails kick in. Once tails kick in I stop collecting and start cleaning up. Obviously I do leave a lot of alcohol in the boiler but I have never re-run my tails anyway.
Offline Hokey  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2016 6:07:30 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Good idea. At least for the winter that is what I'm going to do. 3, 7 gal stripping runs and use my 7.5 gal boiler. 9 degrees is too cold out to be out in the pool house. So the garage will be used for the foreseeable future.