logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#21 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:08:58 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Mmmmm...honey mead brandy...

The chaser question actually brings me to something I forgot to ask. Can you describe what nettle flavor resembles to? Is it grassy or does it have a bit of actual "meat" to it?

If you get a little creative with your nettle tonic I doubt you"ll need a chaser ;,
I"m going to start experimenting with blending fermented alcohols with macerated/distilled spirits. So far I find it a bit like cooking, just need to figure out what goes well with what.

Speaking of mead, have you ever tried Tej ,Ethiopian honey wine,? Its made very similarly to mead only has way more honey added so not all of it is broken down with the addition of a hop called gesho. The result is a really thick and full wine with a strong honey flavor, wouldn"t mind that as a chaser!
#22 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:50:37 AM(UTC)

Alex, Best I can describe it, like a nice, soft herbal tea, quite mild. Added a really refreshing taste to coffee. It was unique and different from anything i could relate it to.

In a couple of months, if you can somehow securely send me your adress, or a friends, I will send you a packet to try. Enough so you can help me work on a chaser! Medicinal, you understand!

Just for fun, I will check with my local wine dealer here. I'll bet he's never heard of Tej. I haven't, but he is pretty good at ordering anything special. Sounds awfully sweet though.

Planning on restarting my apiary this spring, if I can get the bees.
#23 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:32:57 PM(UTC)

Apple pie recipe

750 ml neutral spirit
half cup sugar
one teaspoon glycerne

mix until sugar dissolves, I use a blender or if doing a bunch a five gallon bucket and a paint stirrer on a drill.

In a guart mason jar place one apple cut up without the seeds, a quarter cup of raisins, and a stick or two of cinnamon.

Leave sit for about a week and enjoy. The longer you can wait the better.

msmike
#24 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:26:03 PM(UTC)

John:

Nettle ,the Urtica dioica "edible" species, is classified as a detox agent, which is kind of pointless to make a tonic of since you are toxifying yourself with alcohol for the sake of detoxification ;,

"Refreshing" is actually a very good start for classification. What I would do is make a potent tonic of it alone and see what it tastes like.
Grind up the dried leaves into a fine mulch or powder ,I use a coffee grinder,, pour that into a jar and fill the jar up with alcohol ,65-75%, to the point where it"s a 1/4 higher than the greens ,if it were non ground leaves you should usually submerge them just to the rim of the leaves,.
Grinding helps speed up the maceration by adding contact surface area.

Either macerate cold for a week or warm macerate for 24 hours ,generally it takes around a full 6 months for plant material to be fully withdrawn, though the vast majority will happen in this first stage,.

Then pot distill. Run the pot VERY gently and taste the drip frequently. The moment you detect a slight burnt or "rough" smell or taste stop collecting the mains ,you can collect your tails for reuse later on,.

Let this sit for a week ,generally distilled maceration takes 1-5 weeks to fully mature into its actual flavor and aroma, and have a taste!

If it has a refreshing flavor and effect, I would probably match it up with the mints, like Melisa ,Lemon Balm,, passion flower or peppermint.
Here is a fun experiment for you ,something I want to start playing with,. Back in Roman and Greek days, when distilled spirits were not really main stream, they used to macerate in wine.
As for the "chaser" idea, I"d try fortifying mead or full bodied red wine with this distillate. I have a feeling the results should be, Medicinally, pretty interesting ;,

As for the Tej, There are a few varieties of it. Some are very mild and remind me a lot of a slightly spiced mead. Others are thicker, closer to somewhere between a chardonnay and a port.
Depends what you get your kicks from!
#25 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:25:08 PM(UTC)

Alex:

I made the apple pie in the fall. Dang was that stuff good!!!

UserPostedImage

Cheers!
#26 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:36:59 PM(UTC)

Elricko:

Whats in there &#42;peeks in&#42; I can only see apples raisins, cinnamon? Sounds like something that should be next on the list!
#27 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2007 12:22:00 AM(UTC)

That's it, a hand full of raisins cut up, two apples ,one red, one yellow, and three cinnamon sticks in neutral. Take the cinnamon out after a week or it gets too bitter. It's actually ready to drink after a week but you can leave the fruit in there longer if you like. I ate the fruit and got wasted, so be careful.
#28 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 9:40:17 AM(UTC)

Elricko,

That jar of apple vodka looked and sounded so good- some people eat it, and some people drink it, and both get smashed!

I noticed you didn't use any sugar or sweetner, is that right? So I haven't either, but wanted to check.

Just made 3 qts with granny smith green, and Koji? a red and yellow striped. It really looks nice. Do ya hafta wait a whole week? Ah well, I'll go look and see if there isn't something ready. I've got to get me some gallon wide mouths.
#29 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 10:46:27 AM(UTC)

Do you guys have a good place to online order mason jars?

I want to go back to working on some flavored Vodkas.
#30 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 11:18:20 AM(UTC)

Alex, I get them from Walmart, ace hardware stores, and the local groceries. up to the 1/2 gal. size. Its kinda seasonable though. If no luck I do have a link, but the postage would probably be high. Let me know.

Some of the stores have them left over from last season and stored in the back until canning season so ask.
#31 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 12:25:01 PM(UTC)

i went to my local super wal-mart. asked about mason jars and they told me it is only something they carry seasonably. they also told me they knew that dillon's ,midwest grocery chain? dunno if they have them where ya'll are at..., carried them all year. went to check, and sure enough, they did. i got 6 qt. mason jars with lids for somewhere less than $8 total. about online, i agree with john about high shipping anywhere online ,that i have looked at least,.

Rob
#32 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 12:43:54 PM(UTC)

John, i seen that today{wheatgerm} sounds good, and easy! mason jars are around at alot of stores.walmart has them cheap.If you go there after canning season is over you can get them on close-out prices!6 qt ones are harder to find.
#33 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 12:49:00 PM(UTC)

i'm sorry for the wording in my previous post... i meant x6 single quart jars... oops!!

Rob
#34 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 1:10:09 PM(UTC)

Robert, You had me really excited there for a minute. A 6 qt. mason jar would be a dream. I've never seen cases of mason jars less than 12 count, except the 1/2 gal. sizes? Cutting costs, and raising prices I guess.
#35 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 1:47:56 PM(UTC)

John:

No I didn't use any sugar. I just don't think it needs it. Make sure you take the three cinnamon sticks out of there after a week. As a matter of fact start tasting after three or four days and if it has enough cinnamon go ahead and remove them. If you leave them in there too long it will get way too bitter. You can leave the apples and rasins in as long as you like, but a week or two should be enough.

Yes, eating the fruit will get you smashed a bunch. I speak from experience.

Oh and I get my mason jars from Krogers, look in the same isle where they have sugar.

Cheers
#36 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 1:55:48 PM(UTC)

you get wasted because well its obvious that the fruit dose absorb the alcohol you know it will contain more alcohol that if you were to drink the alcohol from the jar I was thinking this some one that knows can you confirm this
#37 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 2:12:01 PM(UTC)

Oops, I missed the '3' cinnamon sticks and only added 1. Will go open the jar and see if I can fit them in. Pretty packed though. May have to take out a slice of apple or 2. Yehaaw, I may not have to wait a week!!!
#38 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 5:14:44 PM(UTC)

Guess I'll have to look around!

Thanks ;,
#39 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:50:55 AM(UTC)

Elricko,How strong was the neutral spirit you used in that apple pie? I did a quart jar full of blackberrys a few days ago{1 lb of berrys,1 cup of sugar} and used 75% neutral. I figured i would water it down later.Almost all the color is gone out of the berrys,there turning pale.
#40 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:20:34 AM(UTC)

I know most of you have this link, but for those that don't, its pretty interesting.

http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs.htm