logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dasorge  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 8:12:34 PM(UTC)
dasorge

Groups: Registered

I have been cooking for three seasons now. I have the keg style I built from moonshine-still.com (with some modifications). I have found it works best with one roll of packing in the bottom of the column and don't use the reflux. I like what I have been producing thus far. I'm wondering if it would be any good to run my product through a thumper setup before final collection. I mostly do a corn/barley or corn/rye/barley mash. If I am really hard up, I'll do a sugar batch.
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 8:07:33 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
All a thumper is gonna do is help take a little more water out of it before you collect which may increase proof, if you cook too hot it will catch whatever could boil over but you should make sure THAT doesn't happen anyway.
It's really up to you, it's not gonna make canal water into wine, if it sucks it's still gonna suck but at higher proof. But again it wont hurt anything to givera go......
You say you like what you've been making so I bet it wont make that much of a difference tho.
Offline dasorge  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:47:45 PM(UTC)
dasorge

Groups: Registered

I generally start with keeping the first 200ml as cleaning fluid (may be too much but better safe than sorry). I start collecting after that and depending on my mash set up collect till the column temp reaches about 195f. Like I said, I've been happy with what I have done thus far. I use one copper roll for packing which should help keep the bad stuff out. I guess if it did a true pot still type set up I could use a thumper, but for now I'll keep it in mind.