logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Hokey  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2015 5:31:00 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi all, I've been away from the forum for a long time but not the hobby. I have a question though. My daughter in-law likes bourbon so I distilled a bourbon on the day she gave birth to our first grandchild. Now my daughter is getting married and she wants a bottle of vodka made from corn that was grown in the town we live in. I've used cracked corn bought at a feed store but never dried and cracked my own corn. Is there a special type of corn? Sweet corn? I don't know. We have mostly eating corn around here I think. We have a food de-hydrator. Hoping that will work to dry the kernels.Any help would be great.

Thanks, Scott
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 02, 2015 8:38:55 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Good day sir, you don't really need to dry the kernel's since your gonna soak em anyway. Get the corn you want and blend em with a blender and ferment them like that, of course you'll have to add sugar and after that it's just your usual wash. With most vodka's you distill the flavor out by refluxing them so it's really nothing different than you already know. In fact since it will end up neutral you could skip the corn and just use sugar like a rum but of course that's your choice.
Hope I helped and good luck.
Offline Hokey  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 02, 2015 9:23:14 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Hello Heeler, long time no see. (MY bad). So, if I don't have to dry the corn can I do an all corn mash, turning the starch in the corn into fermentable sugars and not use sugar? My daughter wants a corn vodka for her wedding with the corn from our town. I know there are vodkas made from corn but not sure if they also use sugar. I've done the UJSSM thing several times with great sucess making whisky.
Thanks for the reply.

Scott

Edited by user Friday, October 02, 2015 9:24:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 02, 2015 11:28:30 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
you bet it just takes 5 time's as much corn to make up for the lack of sugars. Then you run into the mash being really thick so watch out for that. But the short answer is yes.
Offline Hokey  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 02, 2015 12:21:55 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Thanks again. I think I'm going to give it a try....The things you do for your kids, right?