logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kpmowan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2015 4:20:15 PM(UTC)
kpmowan

Groups: Registered

Hello fellow forum members, I have been reading this forum and HD for about 4-6 months. After much reading I purchased a 10 gallon copper pot still, I figured if things didn't work out it would at least make a nice decoration for the cabin. I am now on my 6th ferment and have had good results on that side from the beginning, but am only getting 65-70% ABV in my heads and when I'm getting to my tails it's like 30-35%. My basic recipe is as follows: 11 lbs cracked corn steeped for 30 min each at 135 deg, 165 deg, and 200 deg. I then cool to about 145 and add 4lbs of 6 row. Steep that for a couple of hours, after which I have been adding some corn sugar to bring by inital SG up to 1.07 to 1.08. Using either Prestige Whiskey yeast or High Spirit Whiskey yeast, I pitch that stir it in and ferment for at least a week. Ending SG has been right at 1.00 each time, so I think I'm getting some good alcohol to start with. I strain through cheesecloth into the still and run the still collecting the first 4 oz or so and pitch. I'll collect anywhere from 8-14 10 oz jars after that. When it gets oily and stinks I shut her down. My temp gauge is generally running nearly 200 deg when I'm collecting, I shoot for 2 drops or so a second and lower the heat anytime a pencil thin stream starts. I cover and let air overnight and then measure the alcohol content while snif testing, generally I'm keeping more than I probably should but so far after 6 weeks on oak (spirals in mason jars) the very first batch tastes pretty good.
I'm just concerned that much of what I'm keeping is only in the 50% ABV range and from what I read most get it in the 70% or better when running a reflux.
Any advice on what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated, and if this is what I should be getting confirmation would be welcome as well. I have more stats for everything except the first batch. BTW, I've also experimented with some rye and also have my first rum going as well, boy is fermenting a Rum so much easier than grain.
Thanks, KP
Offline kpmowan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2015 4:34:26 PM(UTC)
kpmowan

Forgot to mention, that corn goes into about 5 gallons of purified water I generally add a little 5.2 PH stabilizer to the water. I then add another 3 gallons or so as I cool it down. I'm fermenting in a 10 gallon Igloo cooler.
Offline Whodat  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 3:03:46 AM(UTC)
Whodat

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello,

You seem to be collecting the right amount to me. I only use yeast , corn, sugar and water.Maybe a Lil yeast nutrient (Diammonium Phosphate) If I feel the yeast need a lil help.I'm going to tell you how I do it...and then...maybe you'll respond.

First off, Your post confuses me a little. You talk like you have a pot still, with a thumper maybe? or? We talking some E85? Because you mentioned of reflux.

To me , and this is just to me now....There are 3 types of stills...

1. A true pot still...has a hammer head....a thumper, worm....Should be all copper....I love them. They say popcorn use to say he loved stainless....but when did he use? Hmm?

2. A reflux still is anything that ya can jam in to the two inch pipe, or 3 the give ya....(mesh, which ya can do in a pot still, or beads or sum crap.). These are like your E85.....they will produce in the 90% mark. I'm not going to knock them . esp when the have the condenser coil on the top. But it's not true reflux.You have no real control.

3. Your third is what they call a fractional still. These are the ones with the flutes and all that... they can control pressure, temp...These are the flutes ya see at brewhaus. Now that's reflux at it's truest from. You see what happening, you can dictate and regulate flow ..and should.....so much easier.....anyway..

You seem to want to brew something with taste and I admire that....however....a simple ujsm can transform anything, if you made it right to begin with. If your talking of proof you hit a certain level, and guess what ? ya dont taste anything but likker...

some tips I might be bood at? Here ya go;

Don't leave the cap off for 24 hours......High grain spirits will evaporate quickly.

Remember, the key to having high grain is to save some each run and pour it in. Keep making the same thing, but better. Use your heads and feints for a better purpose.

If you've read some HD like ya said, most of them mods believe in only making 8 to 12% mash to run....... I like a solid 15%. again as ya go on, the more you will have your own taste.

Start adding some feints and heads....stop being greedy if ya wanna see that ABV% shoot up....be a hawlk on any leaks and have fun above all.

Offline kpmowan  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 10:50:27 AM(UTC)
kpmowan

I have a true pot still, all copper, no thumper. It is 10 gallon pot with an onion type head and then a condenser coil in a copper container. I only mentioned reflux since many on here have that and do get much higher output ABV's. I think I meant to say that I don't expect to get as high of output as you would with a reflux type still.
It is fun and the output is drinkable. I just wanted to know if I'm doing something wrong since I'm getting such low ABV's.
I made the rum and since I have some canadian friends coming into town in 5 weeks and wanted to have something that they like along with the Bourbon that my buddy's and I enjoy.
Thanks Whodat
Offline Whodat  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 7:11:43 PM(UTC)
Whodat

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kpmowan Go to Quoted Post
I have a true pot still, all copper, no thumper. It is 10 gallon pot with an onion type head and then a condenser coil in a copper container. I only mentioned reflux since many on here have that and do get much higher output ABV's. I think I meant to say that I don't expect to get as high of output as you would with a reflux type still.
It is fun and the output is drinkable. I just wanted to know if I'm doing something wrong since I'm getting such low ABV's.
I made the rum and since I have some canadian friends coming into town in 5 weeks and wanted to have something that they like along with the Bourbon that my buddy's and I enjoy.
Thanks Whodat

I'd say your collection is right , but your ABV is a little low. Most pot stills will do at least a respectable 150 proof. But again I think its just needing to dump some heads and feints into your next batch that will really up it to that.

You having a onion head alone helps with this. The more space ya have the more of a small reflux ya get. If it takes longer for steam to rise and then shoot over to your condenser, the more stronger it will be, since water starts to drop from the ethanol the longer it has to travel upward. You could try adding copper mesh to your arm...but you'd want it to be tilted upward, so the water collected on the mesh does not run down into your condenser.

But other then that...I think your right on track. I'd like to try some rum someday too....but I think I'll just get one of them essence bottles to do it with. I'm lazy BigGrin Don't you need a dunder box to make rum?

Edited by user Friday, July 10, 2015 7:12:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Whodat for this useful post.
kpmowan on 7/13/2015(UTC)