logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Backwash  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 5:23:17 PM(UTC)
Backwash

Groups: Registered

Ran a 8 gallon Batch of DWWG on 5-30-15. No SG or FG. The wash bubbled for 4 weeks at 65 degree F. 1 week to clear. pot stilled one pass. Tossed 12 oz. fores. pulled off 16- 6 oz. jars from 168 proof to 115. Product was still coming off at a good rate so I collected 1 qt of tails. let the 16 jars air 48 hrs then made cuts using smell and watered down tastes. Anything with a burn went into heads jar, anything funky smelling into tails jar.
So, in total 4 quarts collected out of 8 gallons and the only hearts were about 1 quart at 124 proof. Is this about right for a 9 gallon batch size? Seems abit small for the amount of product collected. Am I being too conservative in cuts and leaving too much EtOH behind? I do save all my heads and tails in separate jars for an all feints run somewhere down the road. Thanks for any guidance you can provide. B.
Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:28:28 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
heya Backwash - Kinda hard to tell w/o a SG and a FG reading - Those two readings allow you to calculate the EtOH percentage in the wash. That's what I use to tell me what I am expecting at run time.
Offline Backwash  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 9:29:41 AM(UTC)
Backwash

RC Red, Thanks for the reply. I know I should of checked the OG, Just forgot. I used 13 lbs of white sugar in the 8 gallon wash along with the boiled wheat germ. I did test the final gravity to see if it was done and the hydrometer sank to about .992, and tasted like a really dry wine. The wash was still cloudy, so I let it settle another week.
My question is not the 4 quarts collected as much as the 1 quart of hearts out of 4 quarts of distillate pulled off. I save the heads and tail separately, so that fraction is not lost, but I wonder if a quart of hearts out of a 8 gallon wash is normal. Thanks for any guidance as to what percentage I should expect assuming the wash fermented without problems.
Backwash.
Offline RCRed  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 7:44:30 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Well Sir.. That ratio isn't too bad. In Pot still mode we are not going to see the compression of heads (and widening of hearts band) like we do in reflux so I'd say you did ok.
Offline Backwash  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 8:55:19 AM(UTC)
Backwash

RC Red, Thanks for the help. Having a lot of fun with this, but wanted to make sure I was on the right path. I am doing a UJSSM + barley currently and it smells great. B.