logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cczero  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 5:58:55 PM(UTC)
cczero

Groups: Registered

My neighbor has asked that I help him with some peach brandy. I have lots of runs under my belt, all sugar washes, stripped then refluxed. I've been tempted to try to get some flavored runs with fruit so I guess this will be my first. I've found several recipes of which we have decided on using 7 lbs of peaches 15 # sugar with Turbo 48. We're fermenting from Friday to Friday scheduling the run for Saturday. My question to all. Will this run be similiar to my reflux run w/o the column? In orders words, gradually build to 172-174, kill heat and take small 1/2 pint cuts? I usually start the water the same time I light the burner. I'd appreciate any experiences you will share and any advice to have this turn out great.
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:54:32 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Good day sir, plz check the forum -- Brandy and other spirits. I have a peach mango brandy recipe there and stillin directions that I've used with success. Remember if you want a flavor carryover in your distillate you should run your collections a little hotter to push or pull the flavor over with the hooch. If you think about it I'm sure you can see it.... nice and slow will leave more stuff behind in the kettle but what you want is more of the flavor component to come with the hooch.
I found that the flavor got more noticeable after a few days and as time went by it got pretty darn good. I cut mine to about 90 proof and it seemed to me that lower proof just tasted better.
And you don't want to reflux this either cause that will leave the flavor in the kettle not in the distillate. Anyway hope you get it to work.
Offline cczero  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2015 5:10:56 PM(UTC)
cczero

I thought running HOT would smear too much together losing any flavor from the fruit. No? My stripping runs seem to combine everything (sugar washes) cause I run them on high heat high temp.
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2015 5:52:52 PM(UTC)
heeler

Originally Posted by: cczero Go to Quoted Post
I thought running HOT would smear too much together losing any flavor from the fruit. No? My stripping runs seem to combine everything (sugar washes) cause I run them on high heat high temp.

Strip run definition... run hard and fast and collect everything that comes out in one jug because you are gonna run it thru your still again. You are essentially just reducing the amount of water in the final distillate so you can put it back in the still and run it nice and slow which is called the spirit run.

My advise was, add your finished ferment to your boiler and then run it a little on the hotter side (like a little stream) to pull more flavor over with the distillate. Remember with this type of run you ARE NOT gonna collect all in one big jug, you are gonna collect in smaller quantities like 8-10 oz jars and then make cuts with your nose. If you do a search you can find the thread where I go thru the whole run and describe with pics the correct way to run that fruit wash. Once this is posted I will see if I can find it and come back.

Go to Distilling Question/Technical and scroll to - This is how I collect my run. IN that thread it has pics and describes exactly how to run and collect your distillate.

Read up on how to make cuts and how to collect your distillate, it really does matter when you start doing something other than just a sugar wash.

Edited by user Thursday, June 11, 2015 6:00:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2015 6:18:01 PM(UTC)
heeler

Also in that same forum (Distilling Question/Technical Support is a thread called -- Foreshots/Heads/Hearts/Tails.
It describes how your run comes out of your still and that should tell you why we don't collect a spirit run in one big jug. Read and study that thread too.
Offline cczero  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2015 7:28:10 PM(UTC)
cczero

Thanks Heeler. I'll check that out. That's exactly how I do my stripping runs. Everything goes into a 5 gallon pail pretty quickly.
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 7:19:11 AM(UTC)
heeler

Thanks Heeler. I'll check that out. That's exactly how I do my stripping runs. Everything goes into a 5 gallon pail pretty quickly.

I understand and that's how a stripping run is done. Now then, once you start doing something other than sugar strips you'll need to be more controlled and correct in all aspects of running your still -- making collections and making cuts for the final product. Have you ever tasted that strip after you were done and had it all in one jug?? Without a doubt in my mind --- it sucked!!!!! Then once it was run in a spirit run mode it got better right?? Cause all the nasties you pulled the first run thru were left behind in a nice and slow spirit run.
Re-read that last sentence.......remember the different temp degree's that we go up thru are what makes your likker happen. (Read up on cuts and collections) I know back in the old days snuffy smith laid around and stayed drunk all day but running a still and getting something that's good or better than others is a little harder than it's made out to be. Anyway if I can help at all just ask, Tim.

Offline cczero  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 10:41:21 AM(UTC)
cczero

To steel someone else's description of "soaked cardboard" is what the collected stripped distillate tastes like. But, as you say, once spirited, it's completely smooth with almost no distinct flavor at 92-95 ABV. SWEET.
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2015 8:06:08 AM(UTC)
heeler

My neighbor has asked that I help him with some peach brandy. I have lots of runs under my belt, all sugar washes, stripped then refluxed. I've been tempted to try to get some flavored runs with fruit so I guess this will be my first. I've found several recipes of which we have decided on using 7 lbs of peaches 15 # sugar with Turbo 48. We're fermenting from Friday to Friday scheduling the run for Saturday. My question to all. Will this run be similiar to my reflux run w/o the column? In orders words, gradually build to 172-174, kill heat and take small 1/2 pint cuts? I usually start the water the same time I light the burner. I'd appreciate any experiences you will share and any advice to have this turn out great.

Good day sir, how did that peach brandy come out??? Did you read up on cuts and collections before your run?? Hopefully it all came together for you. Let us know if it's good or bad so others can learn, thanks

Offline cczero  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2015 9:14:46 AM(UTC)
cczero

Doing the mash tonight. Doing a 5 gallon test run running it next Friday or Saturday. I do feel I know what you mean about running it a little hotter, makes sense. I'll let you know what flavor is passed. I'm anxious myself as I've only done sugar wash. I did buy 1 5L box wine at the liquor store yesterday thinking I'd run that to see what taste would come thru, but the wine, cheap, hardly has any flavor to begin with.
Offline cczero  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2015 5:57:19 AM(UTC)
cczero

Update and question. mash's been cooking for 24 hours. The Turbo 48 is ROARing making the airlock click every half-second or so. First time using it, but am very impressed with the action. Question. What is the best way to strain the mash one it's been cleared/racked? Or can I just put the mash in my kettle and run it? Says on the directions 4 days till completion. curios as to what our results will be.
Offline heeler  
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2015 7:23:11 AM(UTC)
heeler

Update and question. mash's been cooking for 24 hours. The Turbo 48 is ROARing making the airlock click every half-second or so. First time using it, but am very impressed with the action. Question. What is the best way to strain the mash one it's been cleared/racked? Or can I just put the mash in my kettle and run it? Says on the directions 4 days till completion. curios as to what our results will be.

The statement - cooking for 24 hours, I think you mean fermenting hard. That's how a turbo works - fast and furious as you've seen. But there are drawbacks to that in my opinion.

That's odd, 4 days is 96 hours but you said it's a Turbo 48, no worries just leave it alone.

Straining your mash, well put your fermenter UP on something for racking purposes (you'll see why when you start) and just leave it there so it can settle and finish. Any pulp in the wash will settle and sit in the bottom in a hard firm cake. Don't jostle your fermenter cause you want to leave all that turbo yeast carcasses junk and any pulp in the bottom.
Then just syphon the liquid only, you will leave some behind but no worries all the alcohol is on top any way so syphon carefully. Fill the boiler and get after it.

Remember, you wont know what you've got for several days, that's normal. Run your still, make your collections, the next day or two make your cuts and after that time span is when you will add water to cut it to a proper proof. OK then good luck and keep us updated.

Offline cczero  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 4:26:59 PM(UTC)
cczero

Impressed? Yes. We had a little under 4 gallons of peach wash to the still. Pulled 13, 1/2 pints. Everyone of them had a strong peach flavor. Our first measured .96 ABV which is the highest I've ever had. Through all 13 1/2 pints the ABV stayed in the .90 with full peach scent. I'll be doing more runs for flavor. First time using the Turbo 48, 5 days measured 14.2 percent in the wash. I think we got every bit of it. Can't wait to try. It's airing now.

Edited by user Friday, June 26, 2015 4:29:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: clarification

Offline cczero  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 4:27:56 PM(UTC)
cczero

That's 13, the number, 1/2 pints, or 6.5 pints. To be clear.
Offline heeler  
#15 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 7:51:30 PM(UTC)
heeler

Impressed? Yes. We had a little under 4 gallons of peach wash to the still. Pulled 13, 1/2 pints. Everyone of them had a strong peach flavor. Our first measured .96 ABV which is the highest I've ever had. Through all 13 1/2 pints the ABV stayed in the .90 with full peach scent. I'll be doing more runs for flavor. First time using the Turbo 48, 5 days measured 14.2 percent in the wash. I think we got every bit of it. Can't wait to try. It's airing now.

Ok great..remember, once they air out to your likking and you go to sniffin and making your cuts it seemed to me that around 90 proof was the area that gave the most aroma and flavor. Clarifiction....once you found your hearts of the run and combined them all in one jug that's when you cut or add water to cut to what ever strength of hooch you want.
Well bud that sounds like you had an out of the park home run so congrats on that. And I found that as a little time passed it got a little better to point like it aged out to all it was gonna be in a couple of weeks. Ok then your off and running, now find some folks to help get rid of it so you can make more..hehe!!BigGrin

Edited by user Friday, June 26, 2015 7:52:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified