logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline tom sawyer  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 04, 2015 5:54:48 PM(UTC)
tom sawyer

Groups: Registered

I have a 2" PSII with copper packing I'm heating with a band heater controlled by a router controller. I ran many batches in pot still mode but decided to try my first reflux run with some heads/tails diluted to 40%. I fiddled with the ball valve to adjust reflux water and adjusted heat with the controller. I had several times when the column apparently flooded. What do I have to do to get a steady run? I've read about the need for a needle valve for the reflux water.

Edited by user Thursday, June 04, 2015 8:17:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline tom sawyer  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 05, 2015 2:53:09 PM(UTC)
tom sawyer

Did a little more reading and tried to wrap my head around what makes a column flood. I insulated the column this morning so not as much of the vapor would condense up in the column. Then I backed off on the heat once I got a boil going and tried to moderate the reflux water down as much as possible with the ball valve. Now I'm slowly bringing up the wattage on the heater. So far so good, I got the foreshots off and am running along at 78.5C at a fast drip.
Offline tom sawyer  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 05, 2015 3:49:26 PM(UTC)
tom sawyer

Finally got the takeoff rate up, and the temp went from 78.5 to nearly 80C so I bumped the reflux water up just a bit. That caused a mini-flood so I backed off the power some and left the water where it was. Going OK for now. Measured jar 1 and it was 88% although maybe a little higher since it was the slightest bit warm.
Offline RCRed  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 06, 2015 10:43:48 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hi there

Silly question, but did you add the second column along with your reflux medium to the configuration? The post didn't say, but the PSII guide illustrates the second column and packing material (Chips, copper, etc) - Your post didn't say...

Offline tom sawyer  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 06, 2015 3:45:58 PM(UTC)
tom sawyer

Yes it around 30". I insulated the column and next time I am swapping out the ball valve for a needle valve and separating the outflow so I can see howslow it is running. As it was I managed to make 3gal of 100 proof vodka that is cleaner than anything Ivedone in pot still mode.