logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dgsinglemalt  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2015 3:02:42 PM(UTC)
dgsinglemalt

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Happy to be posting here as i have been reading you for quite some time.
So, after a year of reading, researching and buying (Gold starter kit from Brewhaus was a bulls eye) we managed to run. And oh boy, it was a thrilling experience. I can describe it in detail but i want to be as short as possible. Just have a few (maybe silly for you experts questions) that are going to help us become better.
We are on a single malt recipe, so malted barley is our grain. We managed to make about 0.75lt of finished product after the second run. Started on 145 proof and finished it on 105 proof. Put it on a sanitized glass bottle with 5 grams of oak chips. Already after 10 days we have a good coloring. We plan to get it down to 80 proof in the very end.

My questions:

1) Are 5 grams of medium toast oak chips for 0.75lt of product? Are these changed with new ones every once in a while or we just leave the original ones in the bottle till the end?
2) How long should it be aged in the bottle? How someone knows when it is ready?
3) I notice a bit of fog and a not-so-welcome acidic smell (which was more intense initially). Is this normal? Shall we do the carbon filtering before it is introduced in the ageing bottle, or after the ageing has finished?

I am waiting for your replies and thank you in advance for reading this.

Regards,
Dimi

thanks 1 user thanked dgsinglemalt for this useful post.
scott213 on 6/23/2016(UTC)
Offline CalHiTower  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 07, 2015 3:48:44 PM(UTC)
CalHiTower

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm new to this forum also...I'm surprised no one has commented or answered your questions...they seemed appropriate to me...

Have you moved on or really waiting for folks to chime in?

Basically I use WHISKY PURE SWISHERS...6 tbs/750 ml...taste at end of each week...stop and filter through a coffee filter when taste is right for you. Me...sometimes 3-4 weeks.

You could use them after a malt wash then stripped then spirit ran. Or I've gotten great results with turbo dextrose wash then full reflux...carbon filter...then whisky essence of your choice. The last method gets you drinking quicker...but I'm old school and like to make my whiskies using pot still and all grain.

Hope this helps...

Cal Hi Tower
thanks 1 user thanked CalHiTower for this useful post.
scott213 on 6/23/2016(UTC)