logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Hawaiian Shiner  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 1:40:27 AM(UTC)
Hawaiian Shiner

Groups: Registered

I've been using the stainless steel filter unit with coconut carbon to create white rum from some of my aged stuff … The filter works great, but the filtration rate is as slow as a drip every second or so after a little while. In the beginning when I'm flushing with water prior to adding the alcohol, the rate is quite fast … A steady stream or trickle. Once the alcohol starts coming out the bottom though, the rate of flow begins to decrease. After a couple gallons, it's literally one drop every second or so. Is this normal? I typically use 3 filter papers on the bottom, and was wondering if I should cut back to just 1 or 2? It's just strange because the water seems to rip right through the filter but once the booze starts flowing, it comes almost to a standstill. Any advice or recommendations to speed things up? Thanks in advance BigGrin
Offline davidsonralph  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 05, 2015 1:36:33 PM(UTC)
davidsonralph

Groups: Registered

I just noticed this post and though I would comment. I had trouble with it filtering extremely slow. I use only one coffee filter. It helped when I added 1/2 a gallon of water to the filter before gently putting charcoal in. I think if you put it in too fast it compacts and slows the flow. Typically it filters about 1 liter/hour for me.