logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2007 4:06:24 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hi Guys - wonder can you help want to try home distilling etc found details of this still - has anyone tried it - any feedback would be appreaciated

Shiftyfox
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2007 7:31:14 AM(UTC)

I'm in that same boat. I found a site selling it that has two reviews in two years... but as many places are sold out of them, i cant imagine that they dont work well... anyone out there have experience with one and are willing to share?
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2007 8:54:39 AM(UTC)

Guys, Think about getting a pot still, then you can cut all the bad stuff out -methanol, heads, tails, and produce a good, and tasty drink and without the hangovers.

With mine, I run 25 L in 2 and half hours ,I use propane, and get around 58% ABV hearts with one run. Produces a whole lot better product.
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2007 9:02:14 AM(UTC)

would you recommend buying a pot still column and getting a keg? or just buying the whole set up?

i guess what i'm asking is, what is needed for a pot still set up compared to a reflux column still?

THanks!!
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2007 9:38:27 AM(UTC)

If you want to enjoy this hobby to the fullest, I would consider getting a complete unit from brewhause.com and a starter kit. I like the one that breaks down into a pot distiller, or works as a great reflux unit. I got my sister a 2' total unit for Christmas this year, and I got the 3' high capacity, and I wouldn't trade it for anything I've seen in the 18 months I've had it. I have since added a half keg and a digital thermometer with alarm.

I've made a lot of different kinds of product, a good volume of each, so I can put most away to age and mature. Really is a great hobby.

Read the homedistiller.org site!
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2007 9:46:21 AM(UTC)

Robert, if you have or can get an old beer keg all you need is the column. I like the 2' because it comes apart in the middle and can be used as a reflux still or a pot still depending on how you want to use it.

Also read Distilling Quarterly if my publisher ever get's the darn thing on line.
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2007 10:05:24 AM(UTC)

Elricko, He has, it can be accessed from here:

http://www.artisan-distiller.org./
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2007 10:08:14 AM(UTC)

being a college student with 5 roommates, acquiring an empty ,at low cost, keg is no problem... that being said, the only reason i havent gone for the easystill yet is $$$... what is the best deal for column, hotplate, carbon filter ,is this as neccessary if care is taken when collecting to separate the head and tails from the 'keep' product?,, etc just minus the boiler chamber?

right now i currently use the Amazing Still setup with alright moderate results. i'm just looking to move to something a little more efficient per batch of mash.
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2007 10:10:50 AM(UTC)

Thanks John, but what I mean is on a dedicated web location. It's coming, he just has to have time to get it up and running. But thanks for posting this anyway.

Cheers
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2007 11:47:38 AM(UTC)

Elricko, Where in relation to Winter Park is your new home going to be located? I visit my mother there several times a year, usually for several weeks at a time. She has one of the most beautiful grounds, and a small orange grove, anywhere around. ,Speak of the angel, she just called, and she would love to share some plants and cuttings- she's a graduate of Cornell, in horticulture,. Being from a family of very traditional 'Old South' she likes a nip of good bourbon the best, so am trying to make her happy. She has a large bed of ginger, that is about 50 years old, and other interesting items you might enjoy a start in. We have a Jamaican nurse- a really fantastic carribean cook and her Jamaican husband, she took care of my dad till he passed at 88. ,At home and comfortably,. They have agreed to stay on and care for my mother.

Would love for you and your family, to be our guests for a cookout dinner, once you get settled, or a relaxing break for while you are getting settled.

You're a common sense guy, with your head on your shoulders, where it belongs, and would enjoy meeting you. I am basically, a total hermit, as I won't put up with most peoples give me this, give me that- gotcha, attitude.

My wife and kids are jewels, but she right now, is liveing at the farm, and looking after our youngest daughter, to get through college, and our farming interests, till I can return there.

Appreciatively, Yours; The Mountain Walker
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 04, 2007 2:03:07 AM(UTC)

John:

Winter Park is about 45 minutes south east from where we are planning to move. Our destination is The Villages which is about 20 miles south of Ocala and 5 miles north of Leesburg.

We were quite disheartened after the events of this weekend however, as tornados tore through distroying 1500 homes in the Villages. We are hoping this is a freak thing and not something we have to worry about annualy. On the good side, most people interviewed on TV said that it was a very unusual situation and they are all rebuilding. Oh well, we lived in CA for years where we dealt with earthquakes, and where we live now we are snowed in three months a year. I guess there isn't anywhere where nature doesn't remind us humans how insignificant we are on occation.

Your mother sounds like a hoot. My wife and I would love to get together for a cookout and I will bring some of my handmade Bourbon ,yes I call mine bourbon,. We will keep in touch as we progress. We still have to sell this house which is the only holdup. As soon as it goes, so do we.

With all those plants are you going to be doing some essential oils? It sounds like a good place to start. If so please photograph what you do and write about it. We want articles about essential oils distillation for the magazine. Although I'm sure you would succeed in all your efforts, even if what you tried something and failed, we can all learn from it.

So you got a digital thermometer with an alarm? Excellent! My wife got me one for Christmas that has a remote that I can put on my belt and go watch TV, or mow the lawn, or just sit on my big lazy butt somewhere reading while I monitor it. Isn't technonolgy great?

Cheers!
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 04, 2007 2:41:27 AM(UTC)

That storm sounds like a freak for that area. My mother grew up in Eustis, and my father in Paisley, both very near where you are heading, and such is very rare. Hurricanes are a whole nother issue though.

Have you spent any time in FL dureing the summer? To me the heat is way more worse than the cold. We always bring my mother to NC mountains for the summer months, which to me is as perfect a year round combination anywhere.

Please keep in touch, and look forward to a sip and visit together.

e-mail: [email="mtnwalker2
yahoo.com"]mtnwalker2
yahoo.com[/email]