logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline NightCrafts  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2015 2:32:52 PM(UTC)
NightCrafts

Groups: Registered

ok all, I "might" have a pot still. if I make a new cap like a reflux that makes it a neutral spirit right? plan to make a corn mash run. is that called stripping? anyway, if I add a fruit flavor to that is it a real brandy? I can try couple times if needed but am I on track? thanks ahead of time....crafts
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2015 3:45:47 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
a brandy is made from the distillation of wine(wine is made from fermented grapes or fruit). YEs a reflux makes neutrals which strip the flavors from a wash or mash.A stripping run is a fast run using a pot still and then the spirit run is done slow. I personally just make one run making it slow which brings over more flavor,or I run reflux to make vodkas or to put in mixed drinks. It's all according to what you like. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
Offline NightCrafts  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2015 6:05:58 PM(UTC)
NightCrafts

thank you diesel. so you say if I make peach wine I should just run it thru as if it was a mash.would you use the pot or the reflux? what could I maybe expect running 20 gal run and care to guess what the alcohol value it might be?
Offline dieselduo  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 6:39:06 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
yes run the peach wine and it would make peach brandy. Run in pot mode to bring more flavor across and make good cuts. As far as the alcohol value goes it depends on your OG.
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 04, 2015 9:32:09 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NightCrafts Go to Quoted Post
thank you diesel. so you say if I make peach wine I should just run it thru as if it was a mash.would you use the pot or the reflux? what could I maybe expect running 20 gal run and care to guess what the alcohol value it might be?

If you smash up the peaches you would make the wine from you could make a peach wash right from that, and then distill into your peach brandy. Remember brandy is made form fermenting and distilling fruit or the fruit wine in your case.

I think your best bet would be to use the still in the pot still mode because if you reflux your wash it will remove some of the flavor that your after. Not knowing what unit you are using or if you know how to use it I am just guessing as to how the finished product will end up. IMO set the heat on a higher setting to push more of the flavor into the finished product.

As for the alcohol value, I think you are asking how high a proof will you get?? That all depends on the still you are using and how you run it. Remember a still just concentrates what is in your wash by leaving behind more of the water and CONCENTRATING the etoh that comes out. If you run your heat on really hot more water will come over and bring flavor with it and if you run really slow it will concentrate the etoh and make a higher proof product. Read up on collection and making cuts before you make your next run that should clear up a few more of the mysteries.