logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline toofastcomet  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 12:38:57 PM(UTC)
toofastcomet

Groups: Registered

I'm fermenting a 25L dextrose sugar mash with "Prestige Whisky Yeast with AG". I added nutrients at 1tsp per gallon. I'm keeping it at 72F. It bubbled fine but slowed near the end of the week. I did shake/churn it a couple different days to re-aerate. After 1 week, the SP only went from 1.08 to 1.07. Not knowing what else to do, I pitched another packet and after a day bubbles noticeably increased like a new batch. Having done this mash before with turbo yeast, 7 days (and 1 packet) is more than sufficient.

How long should this yeast take with 1 packet on dextrose sugar? What should I be doing differently to keep it on track? Just looking for suggestions because at this rate it will take 10 weeks :(
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 3:22:57 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Whisky yeast is intended for a grain wash, and does not include the nutrients needed for the yeast to complete its job, so it will not give you a complete fermentation. For a simple sugar wash you would need either a turbo yeast or a different yeast plus a nutrient complex that supplies all of the nutrition that the yeast requires. Dextrose and sucrose supply sugar, but no nutrition.
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 5:10:36 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
you didn't say how much sugar you used, it may be done or as done as it's gonna get. How hot was the wash when you added the yeast? About all you can do is run it and see what happens, live and learn.
Offline admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 5:29:35 PM(UTC)
admin

I guess that I assumed, based on what was said in the original post, that this was a straight sugar-water wash. What type of nutrients were added? If they were just basic winemaker's nutrients, then it was likely just DAP. That is just one macro nutrient. There would still be no micro nutrients, buffers, or other macro nutrient, so fermentation would likely be minimal and short lived.
Offline toofastcomet  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 6:07:58 PM(UTC)
toofastcomet

All logical suggestions. Thanks!
I was careful to pitch it at room temperature. Used 16lbs dextrose sugar. The yeast nutrients I bought are crystals from my local brewers supply store and labeled as "urea and diammonium phosphate"; recommended by the owner knowing my planned usage. That is the only additive.

I'm anxious to stick with dextrose as it's silly simple. I wanted to move away from turbo yeast, to see if I could get a smoother spirit. So, either I find a different yeast, or I add appropriate nutrients that I'm not yet familiar with.
Offline admin  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 6:41:26 PM(UTC)
admin

The wash that you have is missing key nutrients, hence the lack of fermentation. Urea and DAP both just provide nitrogen. They are one in the same as far as the yeast is concerned- a single macro nutrient.

Turbo yeast is actually just a high alcohol yeast strain with all of the nutrients, minerals, and vitamins that the yeast requires included in the same package. The reason that some people are not happy with turbo yeast is because many people push the limits of turbo yeast more than they do non-turbos, and that leads to a far greater production of byproducts. If you keep your fermentation temperature on the lower end of the yeast strain's preferred range, and do not venture too close to the maximum alcohol content, then you can get a very, very clean fermentation. It may take a little longer, but it will provide a nicer finished product. I also advise against the use of urea, as it contributes to the production of ethyl carbamate, which is a carcinogen.
Offline toofastcomet  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 6:48:44 PM(UTC)
toofastcomet

Ok, fair enough. Let's talk about how to not "push the limits of turbo yeast"? Do you mean just keep the sugar content at the prescribed limit? Black label turbo calls for 13lbs per 25L for example. I read folks "overclocking" it at 17lbs.
Offline admin  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 6:53:21 PM(UTC)
admin

Any stress that you put on the yeast will increase the production of byproducts. So, the happier that you keep the yeast the cleaner the finished product will be. Those stresses are cumulative, and adding stress in one area (eg. temp too high) will reduce the yeast's ability to handle other stress (eg. lower alcohol tolerance). Stay on the cooler end of the range, and stay away from the maximum alcohol tolerance, and you will be fine.

For the Black Label Turbo, ferment in the low 80's (F), and only run with 13-14lbs of sugar (~14%abv), and you should see a marked improvement.
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2015 9:24:16 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: toofastcomet Go to Quoted Post
All logical suggestions. Thanks!
I was careful to pitch it at room temperature. Used 16lbs dextrose sugar. The yeast nutrients I bought are crystals from my local brewers supply store and labeled as "urea and diammonium phosphate"; recommended by the owner knowing my planned usage. That is the only additive.

I'm anxious to stick with dextrose as it's silly simple. I wanted to move away from turbo yeast, to see if I could get a smoother spirit. So, either I find a different yeast, or I add appropriate nutrients that I'm not yet familiar with.

Wow, 16 lbs of sugar in a 5 gallon bucket?? Was there room for water? Did the yeast you used call for that much sugar, I haven't used a turbo in a while that's why I ask? Do yourself a favor and try a recipe that's already worked out all of those bugs that are testing you now.

On the forum here you'll find several that will build your confidence and are really easy to get together, grocery store items you can find easily. Nowthen for 20$ bucks or so you can order a jug of nutrients from Brewhaus that will last for a long time and will make any recipe you want to try work MUCH better. Again instead of trying to reinvent the wheel use a recipe that's proven and you will be happier in the end. Everybody here likes to help and will help however they can so don't give up it's lots of fun when it all comes together.