logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Backwash  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 05, 2015 6:02:42 PM(UTC)
Backwash

Groups: Registered

On 1-10-15 I started and all grain mash. 12 lbs sweet feed, 5 lbs 6 row barley malt, and 2 lbs of rolled rye. Boiled the SF and rye for 90 minutes in 6 gal water plus citric acid and BH nutes. let cool to 150 and added the 6 row. wrapped pot and let sit 2.5 hrs. Also added 3 tbsp. AM enzyme. cooled to 80 and added 4 tblsp of bakers yeast which I rehydrated for the 2.5 hrs set. when I transferred to fermenter, was thin on top and some darker brown goop on bottom third of pot. OG was 1.05 at 70F
Anyways, been bubbling for almost 4 weeks. Im worried about secondary ferment. Still bringing up grain pieces to top. Is this just the unconverted starch being broken down?. Normal for an AG wash to go this long. Ferm box has been at 60 to 65F whole time.
Thanks, B.Confused
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 8:35:30 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
How quickly is it bubbling? What is the SG currently? It is quite possible that the bubbling is not fermentation, but degasing (the liquid is releasing gas that was absorbed during active fermentation).
Offline Backwash  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 10:54:03 AM(UTC)
Backwash

I have not taken a SG reading yet. Like to leave it alone until it quits bubbling and clears. Surface bubbles are coming to surface every couple of seconds. I will take a reading today and see. Still smells good. Should I give it a stir to help with the degassing? Thanks, B .
Offline admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 11:33:05 AM(UTC)
admin

Does the top appear to be slightly darker than the rest of the wash? If so then it is likely starting to clear. If fermentation is complete then stirring with a sanitized brewing spoon will help speed the process.
Offline Backwash  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 09, 2015 7:59:20 PM(UTC)
Backwash

Admin. Top appeared to be a darker color so I sanitized my paddle and gave it a little stir. SG on Sat am was 1.006 at 64F. Tasted slightly sweet but not quite dry as my sugar heads have done. I think I should run it this Sat. and keep what I can. Your thoughts? B.
Offline admin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2015 8:11:58 AM(UTC)
admin

Grain washes will usually finish slightly above 1.000 because there are some residual unfermentables. If it was starting to darken at the top then it sounds like fermentation was complete and it was starting to clear.
Offline Backwash  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2015 1:31:18 PM(UTC)
Backwash

Well I ran the 4 week all grain ferment. Collected total of 1.5 quarts. First 3 jars were clear and smelled like heads. Nose burn. all rest of jars were slightly cloudy and had a slight tails smell.All my other washes have been sugar heads and have come off crystal clear from start to finish. usually run tails down to 40%. Set air out for 48 hrs and no improvement. So will add to next run. Not sure what went sideways as the mash was very sweet after letting it set with barley malt for 2.5 hrs. Think maybe conversion was not too complete. B.