logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dan Martyna  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 2:34:36 PM(UTC)
Dan Martyna

Groups: Registered
Man

ok, so here we go...newbie. I started a sugar wash just before I went on holidays. SG was 1.11 (may have put yeast in when temp was a bit on the high side). When I returned it seemed to have finished. SG 1.00 Still tasted a bit sweet though.

oh, this is my first crack at it. Essential Extractor Pro Series II Reflux still with band heater. Raschig rings

Started the process and all went as expected. dumped first 50 mills, temp went up to 78ish. Now i was getting a stream of liquid. didn't matter what I did. I had cooling water full open was using a cooler filled with ice water cooled with snow. I even managed to get the temperature down to 77 deg but could not get flow to slow.

At first I was getting 170 proof but after about 500ml this dropped to 160 and seemed to level out at 130 after 1000ml. I collected 4 liters but decided to stop after that. It only took about 3.5 hours.

I figured my mash didn't fully ferment.

Any input.

PS...man this is fun!!

d
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 8:41:47 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi Dan,

If your FG settled at 1.000, it was probably done. A sugar wash should typically finish lower though. Say somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.995 give or take. An OG of 1.110 is pretty high and will have a PA of about 17%. This is a bit high and is likely why you didn't finish lower ... yeast don't tolerate higher alcohol concentrations very well. There are some types (like champagne yeast) that might do ok. But lower is generally better. For a sugar wash, try keeping your OG around 1.080 or lower (PA around 12%) ... it'll keep your yeast much happier ... and you'll end up with a much cleaner wash.

As for the distillation with your PSII. There are only two things you can control: (1) water flow through your column condenser and (2) power. That's it.

You should be able to knock down all of the vapor with your PSII (zero output). If that's not the case, then it's either not enough water or too much power. Since controlling the flow gave you no control over your take off rate the first thing to check is your how you lined up your cooling lines & valve. Did you have them lined up correctly? Was the pump operating correctly? etc. You can also stuff some copper mesh between the cross tubes ... that will help some.

The second thing you need to check is your power. You may have been driving the column too hard. This is what I think is the most likely culprit. Too much power will generate too much vapor for your column condenser. Consider adding a power controller to your rig (an RSC, Triac, Variac, etc.). You want to be able to achieve full reflux ... at least at the beginning of your run.

In any case, it sounds like you did pretty darned well for a first ferment and first run, so congratulations!

Just one final thought: I ignore the temperature ... I don't think it tells you much more than where you are in your run. Stay focused on your collection rate and power instead ... the things that you can actually control.

Again, congratulations!

Regards,
--JB
Offline Dan Martyna  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 11:08:54 AM(UTC)
Dan Martyna

Man

Thanks JB, I'm looking forward to my next run. I will check with the power, maybe I didn't have enough Raschig rings in. My top cooling tube is visible.

Their was a strong taste as well so the copper stuffed in the top may help this as well.

I didn't think controlling the temp was a good idea but I will look into it. I thought that the Alcohol should just boil off at it boiling point. Didn't think the change in heat could affect this much.

Is there any chance my wash was off?

D
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 2:47:27 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I don't think your wash was off. If you started with a lower OG it most likely would have finished a few points lower. But it sounds like you did just fine there. Work on getting control of your take off rate -- which in your case it sounds like being able to control your power.

After the fores, you'll want to be able to achieve full reflux (no output) ... and leave it sit like that for a half hour or so ... maybe more ... you'll figure it out. You're looking to get the components to separate in the column (kind of like what happens with water and oil when you let it sit). Too much power is like shaking the water and oil -- you won't get good separation.

If you're blasting water through and still have output, then you're overwhelming your column condenser, so you have no choice but to reduce your power. I typically run just enough power to get a broken stream (like a string of beads) with my column water completely off. Then just increase water flow until the output stops.

After it sits for a while, back off your cooling water and draw off your heads slowly (drip, drip, drip -- not a trickle) -- you're drawing off the heads. Use your nose to tell you when you're into your hearts. Again, you'll figure it out, but until you get accustomed to the smells, your thermometer can help you out. The temp will rise a bit. Ignore the actual temp but watch for the _change_. After some practice, you'll probably trust your nose more than you're thermometer as every run is a tad different ... and your nose will probably be more accurate.

When you're into the hearts you can reduce your water further & perhaps bump up the power a tad. You'll have to get to know your rig. It'll take several runs, but that's why we do what we do. :-) But you'll notice that a slower take off rate (more reflux) will give you higher abv and a faster take off rate (less reflux) will give you a lower abv ... and this will all depend on what you're trying to accomplish.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded response -- just wanted to emphasize the importance of getting control of your power.

Have fun & be safe!

--JB

Edited by user Sunday, January 11, 2015 2:48:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 8:00:06 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

How long did you aerate before pitching
Offline Dan Martyna  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 9:19:52 AM(UTC)
Dan Martyna

Man

Hi Scotty, not very long. I realized this error. I only stirred till yeast was mixed in.

d
Offline Dan Martyna  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 2:49:51 PM(UTC)
Dan Martyna

Man

Ok, so here is my second batch of fermentation. Seeming to go much better. My numbers seem a bit too good though. Is this possible.

Starting SG 1.12 (8kg sugar in 25 Liters water)
7 days later and still the odd bubble percolating and a SG 0.88

Temperature remained steady at 70 for entire process.

Yeast claims 20%ABV after 7 days.

maybe?? Theoretically the sugar per liter works but everything I read says this should be hard on the yeast.
Offline falcon  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 11:19:06 AM(UTC)
falcon

Man
Canada

Helo Dan, I have a PSii with a 2" column on a hot plate. I found that lowering the hot plate to 70 volts(1050 watts) works the best.At 80 volts the flow was faster ut the % fell a bit. At 60 volts it took way to long to run 4-5 m/l min and 15-16 hours. I had Raschig rings and was producing 93-95% at a average flow rate of 12-13 m/l a minute. I have since switched to copper backing and won't go back. My 1st runs I noticed the % fell to 88%. The taste improved nicely. Your wash numbers are pretty much what I get. I start around 1.14-.986 on a 25 lit sugar wash. This gives me 1.140-.986= .154 so (.154 X 129 = 19.86% 25 X 19.86 = 4.97 Liters
) Al though the numbers look good there just numbers. This parrticular run I got 3240 m/l at a average 88%. Oh my mash usually take's 9-10 days, room temp 20C and mash temp last couple of days is 20C. Hope this helps you out Dan,
Offline Dan Martyna  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 11:30:04 AM(UTC)
Dan Martyna

Man

Awesome, thanks. Everyone is pushing me towards Copper. Will give it a go. Can I get away with half copper, half rings? I have also heard that if you use copper you don't need to carbon filter.

I"m at 0.86 today, still the odd bubble (day 9).

I am using the heat band, need to figure out a way to control it. Need a dimmer that can handle the high current.

D
Offline falcon  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 12:02:16 PM(UTC)
falcon

Man
Canada

Dan, I got a roll of copper from Lee Valley. The roll is 25' and it roll up nicely into the column. I'm still new using this method but did fine a improvment. I been thinking of using a inch or so of rings on the bottom and then copper. Also I rolled a few balls of copper and put them around the cooling lines. I ended up getting the hot plate from a Smiley's and build a voltage controller. I used a 15 amp fan varible speed control from an electral supply, $55. Until it burnt out I used a plug in watt meter that give me interesting figures. Power factor/watts/volts/power cost.I check the voltage now with a meter. I have a heat ban that I've used when the wash temp gets below 20C. I found that if the ban is around the 20ish litre mark on the fermentor held good temp around 24C. If I recall the higher up the fermentor the lower the tempeture.Just a tid bit, I use a spread sheet to log the run from mash to jar. So of nice to look over the record's.
Forgot about carbon filtering. I used the funnel and pipe method, its a few hours to run through drip at a time. I found it helped a bit. Lateley I have put carbon in the jar for 10 days and it seems to clean up good,smell/taste. Was told 1 cup carbon per 2 litre bottle, rotate every couple of days for 10 days. I've cleaned the carbon by boiling it, changeing the water a couple of times then air drying on a towel.

Edited by user Saturday, January 24, 2015 12:23:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: forgot the carbon filtering

Offline Dan Martyna  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2015 12:55:33 PM(UTC)
Dan Martyna

Man

So I grabbed the copper from Lee Valley and put it in. I started getting good results for a bit, good taste very high proof. I then started getting these surges of air (steam I guess but it wasn't visible. It was actually making my Parrot gush/burp. I turned the still off.

Is it possible I put the copper too tight? I didn't think I rolled it that tight. I can't think of any other reason the still would surge like this.

D
Offline falcon  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2015 9:38:30 AM(UTC)
falcon

Man
Canada

Hi Dan, I'm by no means an expert but my guess would be too much heat and pushing the column too hard. The heat thing has been interesting. Recording the different settings, found that 70 volts (1050 watts) seems to be the sweet spot for my unit when using Raschig rings. I once pushed the column to hard and had a raschig ring go through the condenser, too much heat. With only 2 runs with copper using the same settings the proof fell a bit, but the outflow was the same. Before switching to copper,I got information from other members here.The 25' roll I folded it in 1/2 and then rolled/twisting it into the column. The roll was 31" long, the same as my column. I made 5-6 balls and added them around the cooling lines. So in short Dan try turning the heat down, I don't think you would have over packed your column. I assume you bought the one 25' roll for a 2" column. Hope this help's Dan.
Offline Dan Martyna  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 10:30:37 AM(UTC)
Dan Martyna

Man

Thanks, I actually reduce the packing a bit. I took about 3.5 foot lengths and rolled them into small rolls and put them in. This was a reduction of about 0.5 foot for roll. I also played with the heat and cooling and seemed to get it to smooth out. I actually had a pretty good run in the end. I got about 4 Liters at over 190 proof and then it fell off to between 160 and 180 for another liter. Tasteless product as well....very cool. It did take about 10 hours though. From what I read, I think I may actually have been flooding my column. I think that you are right it is a heat think but I think I may also have packed it a bit too tight. I'm getting there. Going to try and turn this into Gin now.

Thanks for the help.

d