logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline lkammer  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2015 2:37:51 PM(UTC)
lkammer

Groups: Registered

I'm doing a sweetfeed recipe using cracked corn and 6row barley.I read that the barley acts like an alpha/beta enzyme. I also read where mashes are done only with alpha enzyme and i believe AG.So my question is do/should you use all three Barley ,alpha, and AG to make sure to 'convert' everything to alcohol.Or,do people use just barley or use the enzymes? I also read where Beanno is used as yeast nutrient.If so when do I add the beannoI (think I saw 3 tabs)??

Edited by user Thursday, January 08, 2015 3:53:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline more than I can drink  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2015 6:05:38 PM(UTC)
more than I can drink

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Can you post the recipe?

Malted 6 row has plenty of diastatic power(enzymes that convert starches to sugar).
The 6 row will convert your starches to sugar without using additives. You will need to heat the mash to get the best results.

I'll repeat what I replied to you in your other thread, temperatures are in Fahrenheit.

Enzymes are active between 140 to 162. 140 to 152 are the beta amylase, alpha amylase are between 156 to 162. 152 to 156 is the best temp as a rest at both (sweet) spots for each type of amylase will help free up more fermentable sugars.

If you want to convert starches from corn using malted 6 row you will need a 4:1 ratio. One pound of 6 row will convert four pounds of corn. If you wanted to use 2 row, one pound will convert three pounds of corn.

If you don't want to use AG(all grain), a Mash can be "done" using only alpha amylase additives but you will probably find that the person used a good quality whiskey yeast that had the beta amylase in the packet with it.

Beano breaks complex sugars into simple sugars. It will not convert starch to sugar. Bean-o can be tossed in the fermenter when pitching the yeast, but a proper yeast nutrient found at a homebrew store is by far cheaper than Beano and will do a lot better job.

I hope to have cleared up some of the confusion.
Offline lkammer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2015 8:30:50 PM(UTC)
lkammer

Alright, that helps a lot. I saw fermax yeast nutrient, so I'll plan on getting that.The other thing,when I used the term AG, I thought it stood for Amyloglucosidase.Do you use this after you pitch the yeast.For that matter do you use it at all.(I'm using the sweetfeed recipe,but using cracked corn,cup molasses, adding the barley). One other thing, in the past I would use 6-7lbs of sugar. With the barley, should I cut back on the sugar?

Edited by user Thursday, January 08, 2015 8:54:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline more than I can drink  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 8:32:52 AM(UTC)
more than I can drink

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
For future reference, amyloglucosidase (AMG) is the same as glucoamylase is the same as gamma-amylase. You will need both alpha and gamma, or alpha and beta to get good conversion. People use the abbreviated AG for (all grains).

You can use additives or you can use AG, they both have the enzymes needed to convert starches to sugars. Whatever you choose however requires you to heat the mash regardless to the temperatures that I have specified and held at those temperatures for a period of time.

Are you familiar with the use of iodine to test for starch? You heat the mash allowing the enzymes to work, after about an hour you put several drops of iodine in a small (50ml) sample of mash, mash at this point in the process is called the wort. If it is clear, starches are no longer present and have been converted, if it is black you need more mash time. Discard any liquid that has iodine in it.

People use AG for the flavors that come from the starches found in the grains. If you use the starches/sugars from all grains you do not need to add granulated sugar unless you choose too which will result in a higher alcohol content after fermentation. Granulated sugar has the same taste/flavor in any recipe. Different grains provide the different taste to a recipe.

You can make your own recipes or modify old ones, whether you choose to follow the sweet feed recipe or not doesn't matter. Add the amount of corn you want to use, I provided the amount of grain and temps needed to convert the starches from the corn OR skip the 6 row AG conversion (barley) and use additives OR both. Heat mash till wort has no more starch(iodine test). Then add any other products that are already in a useable form of sugar by the yeast like molasses. Don't forget to boil for a good amount of time(10 minutes at least) to sterilize. Cool to the temp you want to pitch your yeast at, pitch yeast and add any yeast energizers or yeast nutrients that you want at this point.

Edited by user Saturday, January 10, 2015 8:45:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified