logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline lkammer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2015 9:45:38 PM(UTC)
lkammer

Groups: Registered

I'm making a cracked corn recipe using the 'sweetfeed' format.I know most recipes don't use malted barley.I will be using barley.I thought I read where you mash the corn 60-90 min.first, And then add the barley (@ 150 F)after that 90 min. Is that right?

Edited by user Thursday, January 08, 2015 8:19:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline more than I can drink  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 7:50:41 PM(UTC)
more than I can drink

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Enzymes are active between 140 to 162. 140 to 152 are the beta amylase, alpha amylase are between 156 to 162. 152 to 156 is the best temp as a rest at both (sweet) spots for each type of amylase will help free up more fermentable sugars.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 07, 2015 7:55:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline lkammer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2015 4:49:59 PM(UTC)
lkammer

Great, thanks...So after that should I add AG?
Offline Shine NOLA  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2015 5:47:43 PM(UTC)
Shine NOLA

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What is AG?
(i thought it meant All Grain)

Edited by user Thursday, January 08, 2015 5:49:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#5 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2015 6:11:36 PM(UTC)
more than I can drink

Originally Posted by: lkammer Go to Quoted Post
Great, thanks...So after that should I add AG?

Check your other thread, I just posted in it. You can ask all your question in one thread and it will be far less confusing for everyone.

And yes, steep for 60 to 90 minutes or until the corn is soft.

Edited by user Thursday, January 08, 2015 6:14:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline lkammer  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2015 8:50:31 PM(UTC)
lkammer

Thanks,that makes sense.Sorry, I read that other post before I read this one ,and I asked you another question. I thought AG meant Amyloglucosidase. I'm learning a lot.I'll get it straight. Thanks again!
Offline lkammer  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 4:03:53 PM(UTC)
lkammer

So, with the barley converting the starch to sugar (sweetfeed recipe,using cracked

corn/barley),is there enough sugar to make a good shine or do I still add sugar (5-7lbs).

And with regards yo citric acid/pH for a 5gal mash,how much is safe to add if I don't have

pH test strips.
Offline Shine NOLA  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 1:46:05 AM(UTC)
Shine NOLA

),is there enough sugar to make a good shine or do I still add sugar (5-7lbs).

The BEST way to tell would be to use an hydrometer(got one?) and check
your SG ( specific gravity ).
That is really the only way to know how much sugar you have in your mash.

It will also tell you when all the sugar has been consumed and your mash is done.

Offline lkammer  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 6:25:55 PM(UTC)
lkammer

I did make several batches of beer about 20 years ago. I know I have a hydrometer somewhere.

So, What should a starting SG # be. In a lot of posts i see 1.080. I found the formula

(SG-FG)129=ABV. So, using 1.080, ABV=10.60. I would think I would want to get the max proof

distillate.I also read where you probably won't get much more than 18%. So ,do you just work

the formula backwards to get a SG that will yeild ABV .Then add sugar to malted mash to

increase SG

Edited by user Saturday, January 10, 2015 7:47:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#10 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 7:57:55 PM(UTC)
more than I can drink

So, with the barley converting the starch to sugar (sweetfeed recipe,using cracked

corn/barley),is there enough sugar to make a good shine or do I still add sugar (5-7lbs).

And with regards yo citric acid/pH for a 5gal mash,how much is safe to add if I don't have

pH test strips.

There will be sugar, I'm not sure how much though. I would guess enough for a 5% alcohol content after fermenting. If you boil your wort longer than the 10 minutes as stated in the other thread to one to two hours, the evaporation will increase the sugar content by several percentage points.

I don't use citric acid so I have no idea. I have a Hanna PH meter, well worth the investment. I use a product called 5.2 PH stabilizer and that's just what it does. With this product you can ALMOST ship using the PH meter as it raises or lowers the PH to 5.2.

I did make several batches of beer about 20 years ago. I know I have a hydrometer somewhere.

So, What should a starting SG # be. And then there I saw a formula somewhere to tell you what

potential alcohol Percent will be at finish. I think I read where you take a second SG

reading for the formula?/

A good hydrometer has several scales usually. One will be the percent of alcohol if the wort was finished fermenting(potential alcohol by volume), Percent of Sugar(balling) and specific gravity (SG), no formula required.

Once you follow the steps I posted this morning in your other thread and your wort is cooled to pitching temperature, stick the hydrometer in the wort and see what the finished alcohol content will be. If your are not happy with the finished number than add the sugar to the desired finished alcohol content. The sugar will not degrade you finished sprit, you will just lose your bragging rights; you will not be able to say you mad it with All Grain. Granulated sugar makes Rum, corn makes Whiskey, barley makes beer. No ingredients are wrong, it's just how proud you will be, and none of that matters if you plan on stripping all the flavors away with a reflux still.

Before you spike your batch with sugar, like most of us do, get to know your intended yeast. Find out what alcohol content it will produce. If you use sugar, don't use more than the yeast can turn into alcohol.

I was making sugar washes when I first started, I've had the SG as high as 1.15 which is 20% alcohol once finished fermenting. EC-1118, That is a yeast strain used in wine making and can tolerate 20% alcohol before it kills itself off, if you are lucky. A SG of 1.15 will take a month to finish fermenting but a SG of 1.04 (5% percent alcohol) will finish in under two weeks.

If I ran a 5gal batch of SG 1.15 through the still, I would end up with almost a gallon of spirit proofing at 186. With all that rambling said SG doesn't matter as long as your yeast can handle it.
thanks 1 user thanked more than I can drink for this useful post.
lkammer on 1/11/2015(UTC)
Offline Shine NOLA  
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 10:57:56 PM(UTC)
Shine NOLA

So, What should a starting SG # be. In a lot of posts i see 1.080. I found the formula

(SG-FG)129=ABV. So, using 1.080, ABV=10.60. I would think I would want to get the max proof

distillate.I also read where you probably won't get much more than 18%. So ,do you just work

the formula backwards to get a SG that will yeild ABV .Then add sugar to malted mash to

increase SG

The concentration of alcohol is dependent on the type of yeast you use.
I use dady yeast and
I try for a 12 to 15 % yield as I think it is faster and a bit cleaner, better tasting ferment . Others aim for higher concentration (using turbo yeast ).
If using bakers yeast , I wouldn't try for anything over 10%
Either way, if your SG is to low for your liking, add some sugar till you get to the ABV you want.
here are some calculators I've posted
https://drive.google.com...o0XzF4UGJWSEk/view?pli=1
(just click the download tab and save to your desktop, it will open in a browser window)
and one will tell you your potential alcohol yield .

The other calculators I've included will come in handy also.

Offline lkammer  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 8:43:59 AM(UTC)
lkammer

Thanks 'more than I can drink' That puts a lot of things/posts in perspective. That really

clears up a lot of things. I just ordered that 5.2 pH stabilizer. Now I have to find my

hydrometer in the basement somewhere. Thanks again
Offline lkammer  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 8:49:45 AM(UTC)
lkammer

Thanks shine NOLA, I'm using campaign yeast. I'm also looking to get ec1118 for my next run. From what I read it looks like it ferments at a different rate. Thanks this thread helped clarify a lot of things