logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline CrankyCronos  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2014 1:13:25 AM(UTC)
CrankyCronos

Groups: Registered

I found a 90 Gallon Vertical Water Tank for a damn nice price. Will I even need to think about adding ice? If memory serves, I didn't use ice for the 55 gallon drum of water when I ran the still the last time (High Capicity Reflux). That was some 4 years ago, but if memory serves, the water got pretty hot. Ideas? Suggestions? I plan on using the Chugg​er Pump With High Temp​eratu​re Poly​sulfo​ne Head for my water circulation (closed circuit water cooling with manifolds to regulate going to the tower, as well as the discharge side). Thanks...
Offline more than I can drink  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2014 1:31:03 PM(UTC)
more than I can drink

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I use a 18 gal plastic tub filled with snow or home made ice (depending on the season) then I fill with water. The ice usually last the entire run (4 to 6 hours). Once I ran a unplanned batch and didn't have any ice. I only changed the 18 gals of tap water once during the run. The cooling water doesn't have to be ice cold, it just has to be colder than the vaporization point of ethanol.

I have a plan to build a closed system for cooling water using a bus heater found for free at a junk yard or even a car radiator. The fan can be easily powered by 12v, circulate with a pump and if it was winter the heat blown from the rad will help to heat a building or if it was summer and you are running your batch inside, the piping could be ran outside to transfer the heat out of the building.

I'm sure if you changed the water in the 90gal tank once during the run you would be fine. Sorry I couldn't be of much help with your idea utilising your 90 gal tank.