logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Der_Trunkene_im_Fruehling  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:41:16 AM(UTC)
Der_Trunkene_im_Fruehling

Groups: Registered

"Greetings -
I'm looking at purchasing the high capacity gin model still w/ 15 gallon boiler. I've read part of a long thread at Home Distiller's forum regarding various mods for either the Brewhaus or Mile Hi stills and I'm wondering if anyone here had these mods put in place by Brewhaus and whether you consider them worthwhile getting. One of the mods suggested is something Brewhaus already incorporates into their stills, namely having separate controllable water feeds to the reflux condenser and the arm condenser rather than one continuous feed through the two condensers. The HD thread goes a bit further by recommending a needle valve for the reflux's input which would be easy enough to incorporate. Some of the other mods recommended in the thread include a funnel in the tower that would collect the reflux and replacing the gum bung in the top of the column with a metal cap w/ thermometer. This latter mod I don't think I entirely understand and it's not clear to me whether it's intended to increase the alcohol % or it has something to do with that forum's general distrust of anything other than copper and stainless steel. To the extent that I understand it, it seems to me that purity is mainly effected and regulated by temperature control at the heating element and the water going to the condensers. What kind of percentages are people here getting with these stills as is? You can read the HD thread here:
http://homedistiller.org...p?f=17&t=25732"
Offline Shine NOLA  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2014 3:14:21 PM(UTC)
Shine NOLA

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
"recommending a needle valve for the reflux's input
[COLOR=""#0000CD""]just helps control micro adjustments in reflux[/COLOR]
funnel in the tower that would collect the reflux
[COLOR=""#0000CD""]just redirects the condensates from running down the wall of the column
making sure it falls through the packing[/COLOR][COLOR=""#0000CD""][/COLOR]
replacing the gum bung in the top
[COLOR=""#0000CD""]I would, are YOU SURE IT'S SAFE? We KNOW copper is[/COLOR]
it seems to me that purity is mainly effected and regulated by temperature control at the heating element [COLOR=""#0000CD""]wrong[/COLOR][COLOR=""#0000CD""][/COLOR]and the water going to the condensers.[COLOR=""#0000CD""]in a sense. purity in increased by refluxing the vapors[/COLOR]
[COLOR=""#FF0000""]keep reading over there[/COLOR]"