logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline toofastcomet  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2014 8:05:00 AM(UTC)
toofastcomet

Groups: Registered

"I'm looking to make a cucumber infused vodka for bloody Marys. From research, it sounds like cucumber is a tricky one. I did find a quote for a store-bought brand that explains their distiller's approach:
""we didn"t know exactly how to introduce the cucumber into the blend. No one had ever put cucumbers in gin. We did a lot of experiments macerating and steam-distilling cucumbers before we came up with the right formula. And it was the same with the rose petals. ... Hendrick"s is made in small batches using a 550-liter pot still from the 1880s. The cucumber and roses are added at the very end so that their flavors and aromas don"t disappear.""

Well I'm not interested in adding vegetables to my mash right before distilling. I don't need gallons of it. I also don't see how that would provide enough flavoring. I'm leaning towards liquifying(blending) peeled cucumbers, filtering, then using that vegie water to dilute and flavor my spirit. It sounds like basic macerating wasn't sufficient from their quote. Thoughts?

quote reference: http://www.bevlaw.com/be...ber-flavored-vodka"
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2014 8:43:02 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I would think a gin basket would work in the vapor path
Offline RCRed  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2014 1:44:14 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Depending on the other minerals in the cuke, it might be a tad cloudy...And they are making a boatload too so they need a volume of flavor.

Perhaps a freeze dried approach and then soaking it(Freeze dried cuke) in the dilute like an oak chip? (Mostly SWAG'n here)
Offline toofastcomet  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:23:43 AM(UTC)
toofastcomet

Yeah, I froze the cuke (to burst the cells), peeled it and puree'd, strained and diluted 130proof spirit, with only those juices, to 80proof. It does want to separate though, have to shake the bottle before tasting. Otherwise it has a nice neon green color. If my audience finds flavors are too weak, I'll double up on the veggies and boil off some water to make it stronger.