logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline KGB  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:26:23 AM(UTC)
KGB

Groups: Registered

"Hey Guys,

I have lost some important data regarding 6 row pale Barley malt and I need some help.

When converting corn starch to simple sugar, crushed 6 row Barley (pale) malt is often used. Once corn is cooked for an appropriate time and allowed to cool, Barley malt is added and the mix is brought to a specific temperature for a specific period of time. Barley malt has multiple enzymes and that's what makes Barley so desirable. Each enzyme becomes destroyed above that particular enzyme's critical temperature. Thus, certain low temp enzymes first begin to attack various repeating chains of polysaccharides at a certain temperature. Some polysaccharides (at that given temperature) are converted to simple sugar whereas some are hydrolyzed for further processing. After cooking for a specific time, the temp is again elevated and held at that temp for the same length of time. When increasing the temperature, the first enzyme is destroyed and a more heat tolerant enzyme comes into play breaking down more starch. By increasing temperature again, the second enzyme is destroyed and a third enzyme takes over further hydrolyzing starch. After this process is repeated several more times a final temperature is reached where the last heat labile enzyme is used to finish conversion of starch to sugar. Above that temp (I think it is 156F or possibly 165F) all enzymes have been used and destroyed.

Do any of you happen to know how many rest periods are required, at what temperatures each rest is to occur, and for how long at each rest?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks"
Offline KGB  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:13:49 PM(UTC)
KGB

Groups: Registered

"Please disregard my above post. I have located the information that I was seeking.

Thanks,
KGB"