logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Backwash  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:42:58 PM(UTC)
Backwash

Groups: Registered

"I have several quarts aging on oak and after proofing to 90p, I noticed a bit of heads coming thru. Can a person set these in a sunny window and crack the lid ( Mason Jar) and let the more volatile spirits gas off. I realize that some ethanol will leave the jars also but since the headsy stuff has a lower boiling point, it might leave the jars at a lower temp. Say about 125- 130 F.
I have placed the jars in my window and the warm temps helped with the coloring from the oak. Neighbors think I am making sun tea. B."
Offline Geoff  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 25, 2014 6:37:24 PM(UTC)
Geoff

hi there,
Not sure if that will be the correct way to go.......for a start it is better to learn how to do your cuts, that way you can get rid of the heads, the slight smearing that will come through to the heart if you do tight cuts will disappear over night and not ruin your product.
Anything with a lower boiling point than ethanol is called the Heads, and, for our purposes', is methanol (methyl alcohol), which is highly toxic when drunk, and MUST be removed from your product. Anything with a boiling point higher than ethanol is called the tails. The tails consist mainly of water, but also contain some undesirable alcohols and other impurities.
So, basically, you have to remove and discard the methanol, which is a very important step, collect and save the ethanol, and discard everything which is left, i.e. the bulk of your brew.
Learn to do your cuts and it will be much safer drink to enjoy.
Offline Backwash  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 03, 2015 2:17:59 PM(UTC)
Backwash

Geoff, Thanks for the tips. I too am learning how to make the cuts in final product by smell and taste. Still having trouble with the head/heart division. B.