logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Momma's Mistake  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 08, 2014 5:24:53 AM(UTC)
Momma's Mistake

Groups: Registered

"I'm working on a thump keg and am looking for a couple of silver solder brazing rods to braze some .75"" L copper to a soft stainless lid. The cheapest I can find is in larger quantities so I was wondering if anyone had a couple sticks they'd want to part with. I've used the high silver content fluxed sticks before (SS-F6) with good success and wasn't sure how low in silver percentage I could go and still make it work. The welds won't be load bearing and just pass throughs. I'd be happy to pay by Pay-pal or your choice. Thanks and I'd appreciate any info/tips on doing the job.

Still working."
Offline Crypt  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2015 5:55:44 PM(UTC)
Crypt

Harris silbright and Harris flux will allow you to soft solder copper to stainless. Don't get the stainless too hot or the solder will just ball up and run off, getting the copper hot and letting that heat transfer into the stainless is the easiest way to do it.

55% silver and the silver solder flux (white) will do it as well and requires less heat. Harris also has a silver bearing solder out that has the flux already in the rod, its a very easy product to use but fairly spendy.

I always use the "Sil-bright" as its the cheapest option and I already have a roll. I have used the silver bearing rods with flux in them and like it a lot, but at 60 dollars for a half a dozen foot long sticks it is a little spendy for my tastes. It does work well though.
Offline Shine NOLA  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 3:11:40 PM(UTC)
Shine NOLA

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I can get 45% rods with yellow flux locally for $12 each.
I used it to braze ss ferrules to 2" copper for my column .
Check the welding supply where the local welders get their stuff.
If not, I can try and help you out somehow