logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2003 6:35:21 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hello,

I am going to start making my first still next weekend. I am making the valved reflux still from moonshine-still.com Here's the thing thugh I want to use a keg boiler, I have a spare shell just lying around so I figured that would be good. The only problem is fitting the column to the boiler. I will be using a 3.5 foot column made from 2' copper most likely ,i'm thinking of going a little wider,. Well the problem I have lies in the mixing bowl deal. It just looks really complicated and I am relly confused about it. I know someone that can weld stuff for me, so instead of fussing around with flanges and the like, can i just, weld/solder the column directly into my mixing bowl? I'm pretty handy and I know my way around with tools, but I am just wondering why they don't suggest that option. It seems it would be the simplest thing to do, just cut out the bottom of the stainless-steel mixing bowl and then solder the column to it with some 45% silver solder. Am I being stupid, or overlooking structural integrity or something?

Besides that, does anyone have any suggestions, tips, tricks, etc for me? here's what im planning on doing..

* Making a couple of 25L batches of sugar mash with a turbo
* Strip all the batches
* Distill the stripped distillate with some baking soda and non-iodized salt
* thin down with water
* charcoal filter
* Bottle and put in the freezer
* Enjoy my vodka!!!
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 07, 2003 4:54:48 AM(UTC)

ahh thanks alot.

i was walking around HD yesterday and found a solution easier than the exhaust flange. They have these 2' threaded pieces of copper, so i bought a male and female, put them through the hole in the mixing bowl and put in a big gasket that i think is for a shower or something like that. the gasket is a bit small, but it stretches to size with no problems. it seems pretty sturdy so far.. and i change my mind i can allways go back and go to the flange. the gasket looks like straight up black rubber, but feels a bit siliconey, but since its going on top of the bowl it shouldnt have much ,if any, contact with the steam, so it should be OK.

BTW how much did you pay for the rivet nut thing? i looked the up online and they are pretty expensive. i bought the tool and some nuts, but now i just dont know if i am also going to need a mandrel. im kind of confused abut the rivet nuts. any comments?
#3 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2003 12:28:19 PM(UTC)

I used a 2' to 1 1/2' copper adapter. Once I removed the valve from the Keg, I only had to grind the opening a little larger to press the copper reducer into the Keg. My column is then able to be inserted into the reducer. When I am done, I can slide it out again once the unit cools. The system works great.