logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline John Barleycorn  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 4:45:49 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Have any fellow homebrewers tried the Blichmann BoilCoil or the electric Tower of Power?

http://www.blichmannengi...ng.com/products/boilcoil

Given the different sizes and power ratings (2 kW - 5.75 kW depending on size) it looks like the BoilCoil could have some applications for hobby distilling as well."
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 4:53:38 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I have the blichman stand--I have only 2 shelves. I have a separate gas fired heat supply for the boil pot---I use my own constructed pot with a heater element in it for the sparge water. The mash tun has a home made false bottom which clears the heater element and I use a mesh bag to keep the grains from burning if coming in contact with the heat element. I believe that the blichman electric elements are well designed as far as watt density goes but they are way to low a wattage for my blood== too much $$$ for too little wattages for my taste.

Ill get a photo of it now and post it in a couple of minutes
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 5:06:08 AM(UTC)
scotty

UserPostedImage
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 5:09:42 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hey Scotty,

It's been a while since I've chatted with you ... I hope you're enjoying your summer!

Blichmann is definitely pricey stuff ... but it's very good quality ... as you already know ... sounds like you have a great setup there. I have the Top-Tier burner and really like it. I have an Imperial Porter that needs brewing in the next week or two, so we'll put it to good use. :)

I just happened upon the BoilCoil ... not sure when they released it. I suppose the regular old elements are much less expensive. But it looked like it would be ideal for a larger rig for fuel ethanol ... like matched with a 30 gal SS drum. I haven't seen any performance specs though. The coil that's sized for their 30 gallon kettle is rated at 5.75 kW ... figured that having an SS coil might make cleaning a lot easier when running cloudy washes. IDK. I also haven't looked at the various voltage options either."
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 5:17:48 AM(UTC)
scotty

https://www.facebook.com...1&type=1&theater

Here is a better photo John== I still feel that the elements are not high enough in wattage and prefer the gas for the boil specifically because of the high BTU outputs
Offline RCRed  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 7:19:58 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm running a milk can jug (13.7 gal) on a 5500W element w/a 240 circuit into my RSC. it takes about 40 mins to boil 10 gals of wash with that controller up high.. My Blichmann gas unit takes about 36 mins.. I find it harder to get the Blichmann dialed in for longer reflux.. Not impossible, but any misguided draft in my barn can upset it where the electric unit doesn't seem to have those variances...

But it sure looks nice and snazzy, JB...
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 7:44:12 AM(UTC)
scotty

My gas unit is just a little gas unit-- it is easy to control. I do the boil right after I sparge and have 6 gallons of beer to boil-- it only takes a few minutes as long as I do the boil right away,. I do all my work except for the fermenting outside on the porch shown. I cool the wurt out there too. I have a 6 gallon screw top bucket that I transfer the cooled wurt into . We then bring it indoors where the yeast starter had been working for about 24 hours. we pitch and I change the screw top cover to one with a hole in it to accept the bubbler.

I do prefer the electric for my still boiler though.