logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline junglejimmy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:13:18 PM(UTC)
junglejimmy

Groups: Registered

"Hi,

I just bought a High Capacity unit with Gin basket and so far it is going great. I have managed to get a steady 93% of of my first and second attempts. However I am still unsure as to the correct use of the gin basket.

I want to experiment with the London gin method, Where you distill using the column to get 93%, then use the pot still with the gin basket to get the flavored gin.

So my question is should I attach the Gin basket in the column reflux stage? Is it of no use at this stage. Does it actually hinder the process at this stage.

Thanks
Jimmy"
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:24:07 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
The big advantage to the Gin Series is that you can actually do the infusion at the same time as your reflux distillation instead of having to make to passes. Whereas in traditional gin production you will distill your wash to produce the spirit, and then suspend the material over the spirit in a 'gin still' and run it a second time, with our gin series you can do this all at once. Set the unit up with the gin basket above the cooling lines, immediately before the part of the column with the condenser attached. Your material goes into the gin basket, and the spirit vapor will then flow through the material and be infused with the flavor and aroma.
Offline dieselduo  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:38:59 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Is there a gin basket that you can attach to the ps11 hc ?
Offline admin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:53:19 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I'm afraid not, as the gin basket goes between the cooling lines and the condenser, so it is not something that can be added after the fact.
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:48:35 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
Is there a gin basket that you can attach to the ps11 hc ?

Diesel, I made gin with Odin at a distilling seminar in Indiana with his Istill 250. He just hangs a mesh bag of the gin botanicals above the liquid level in the boiler (stainless tea-ball works fine too... don't pack it tight), but just below the column. Also, he puts the coriander and juniper directly in the liquid the night before he distills and allows it to macerate overnight with the low-wines (these both float, so they won't scorch on your element or boiler bottom)... then hang the rest of the botanicals in the bag (additional juniper and coriander in the bag) the next morning and fire up the still. It was, by far, the best gin I've ever tasted... even without resting (he says to always bottle your gin and let it rest for 4 to 5 weeks to allow the flavors to stabilize). Having a gin basket is very nice, but if you don't have one you can still easily make world-class gin. He runs low wines at 40% abv. Also, be sure to keep some neutrals at 50% or so... when you proof the gin down it will frequently become cloudy. This is natural because of the oils that give gin it's flavor. To get rid of the cloudiness, add more 50% neutral until it disappears... the new %abv will be your gin strength (frequently between 42% & 48%). If you want it right at 40%, dilute it with more neutrals until it stays clear at your desired strength.

I learned a ton about making gin that day.
Offline dieselduo  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:08:39 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Thanx I'll try that