logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jpierce3  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:17:10 PM(UTC)
jpierce3

Groups: Registered

Hello all. New to the site and to home brewing , thanks for having me.
Im sure I am just worried about my first batch but here is what i have.I sanitized everything with star san. To sanitize the carboy i just poured some in there that I mixed water and swirled it around for a bit and turned it upside down to dry out. I am using a american wheat extract kit from northern brewer.I do not have initial SG or any other specifics like that. It is in a 6.5 gallon carboy coming up on two weeks.the airlock is no longer active but my girlfriend said there is a occasional bubble coming off the foam on top. I am out of town for work but my girlfriend has been sending me pictures. I believe what I am seeing is just yeast that hasnt settled but any thoughts or opinions may help to ease my mind that it is mold. I have already looked on some threads and compared the pictures. Again I think its just yeast but still worried a bit. Thanks all

[ATTACH=CONFIG]986[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]987[/ATTACH]
jpierce3 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0767.jpg (239kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
IMG_8788.jpg (44kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:10:04 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hi There

It's either that or some grains that did not settle. Most times that yeast falls to the bottom and goes dormant.

If it was fermenting well for days you prolly got a good ferment. The FG measurement will tell the tale. When you siphon that off, just be sure and run it thru a cheese cloth or other fine filter to keep any sediments out of the wash to be ran. If it's sending a bubble every now an again that could just be some CO2 etching out...

That wash can sit like that about a week to 10 days on the lee's and then it really should be siphoned. I have found if I leave it longer I can get some off tastes, but I was doing grain ferments...

I reccomend you siphon it thru a filter and run it if the FG is indicative that it's done.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 5:08:59 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
That doesn't look like mold to me either ... it looks more like cold break ... but it does appear awfully dark for an American wheat beer! Was there any dark sludge that you didn't leave in the bottom of your kettle? ... that you put in your fermenter?

Let it sit, the cap should settle back into the beer ... and it should clear up some ... but don't expect a wheat to get anywhere near crystal clear.

Just out of curiosity ... are you planning to bottle? ... or run it through your still?

Edit: oopps ... and welcome to the forum! BigGrin
Offline jpierce3  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:16:45 AM(UTC)
jpierce3

Thank you for the replies. I am at work for another week so I will bottle this when I get home and let condition for two plus weeks. Thanks everyone!
Offline jpierce3  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:22:28 AM(UTC)
jpierce3

And yes there may have been some sludge that was allowed into the carboy 😟. Hopefully it will still taste alright.