logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline reapersmoonshine  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2014 10:02:47 PM(UTC)
reapersmoonshine

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Hi I'm looking for a good banana brandy recipe some one has done before and likes thanks
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:26:11 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Originally Posted by: reapersmoonshine Go to Quoted Post
Hi I'm looking for a good banana brandy recipe some one has done before and likes thanks

No problem. Here's what you'll need to make 6.5 gallons:

10 Lbs of Bananas (overriped is preferred)
15 Lbs of white table sugar
1 table spoon of baker's yeast (or 1 pack of turbo yeast)
1 tea spoon of pectin (this is needed to break down the fruit)
1 cup of mashed rasins (not required if using turbo yeast)
5 gallons of water

First peel and slice all of the bananas and add them to your fermentor. This will be easy if you use overriped bananas (they're solid black at that point). Next take out your frustration and smash the sliced bananas into an oatmeal type of consistentcy. Now in a large stock pot, bring half of your water (2.5 gallons) to a low boil and add the pectin to your banana mash and stir for 1 minute. Next dissolve 13 pounds of your sugar and save the rest for your finished product. Now add this mixture to your banana mash and stir for approximately 2 to 3 minutes. This will make sure that everything is well mixed together and will help the pectin break down the fruit into fermentable sugars. Next add the remaining water to cool it down to between 75 and 90 degrees F. Next add your yeast. If you're using turbo yeast please follow the directions on the package. If you're using baker's yeast take 1 cup of rasins and boil them in some water and then add them to your sugar and water mixture before you cool it down to the yeast's pitching temperatures.

^ I've made this 4 times and it's a popular recipie. I do get some requests for it on occasion, but everyone seems to want my peach brandy instead.
Offline Geoff  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 25, 2014 3:19:50 PM(UTC)
Geoff

Groups: Registered

Hi there,
Just new here and noticed you had a banana recipe that's sound good, but I want to know why you are using "PECTIN" this is generally used in jams to gelatinise, I have not heard of it used in distilling for the reason set out below that I have researched.

The methanol comes from the pectin, which mainly composed of methyl esters of galactose. When pectin breaks down, by enzymes introduced by microorganisms, or deliberately introduced, the methyl esters combine with water to produce methanol, so the aim should be to leave the pectin well alone if you can. (Worth thinking about)

I think Jack would agree that what he means is that fermenting at a high temperature, or adding pectin enzyme, or trying for an abv higher than 12% all increase the risk of methanol being produced, so his advice about low temperature fermentation, adding no exra enzymes, and a target lower than 12%abv is all good stuff.
You are already being exposed to methanol from other sources. Some fruit juices are naturally high in methanol - for example apple juice can have 0.2-0.3% methanol, or if derived from pulp by enzymatic degradation, the levels can be 2 to 3 times higher.