logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:49:20 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"My wife and I are vacationing in Savannah Ga. and on the way there we stopped in St. Augustine Fl. to check out the historic side of Fla. Very interesting how much history is associated with Fla. All the battles and pirates and forts, well you get the picture. If you haven't been and you are from Fla you need to go. Now, I told you that so I could tell you this....we got to visit the newest ditstillery in Fla.
It's apptley named... The St. Augustine Distillery, I will add some pics. Right now they only have vodka and gin for sale because it'll be three years before the whiskey or bourbon is ready, but they wanted something to sell now and get the ball rolling.

They use fresh sugar cane stalks for the sugar, they squeeze the stalks dry and then ferment the juice. You may be thinking that sounds like rum but remember it's mollassis that makes rum, of course mollassis comes from sugar cane but mollassis is a bi-product of the sugar production process. As I questioned the tour guide about the unique flavor of they're likker he said....it's the mollassis that does it. So of course I had to say ..did you add the mollassis to the ferment????? He said nope just pure sugar cane squeezin's.

After the tour and as we were all getting a taste before purchaseing a bottle, I asked again, sir, do they add the mollassis to the ferment???
He quitely whispered, no but everybody likes to hear that that's what makes it special....I responded with, no worries, it's still ya'lls secret.

I also inquired about ferment temps, and what yeast they used and how long it takes to finish and about that time everything started being called ---- the trade secret, so I left it alone. After the tour they gave us several samples of a drink called The Moscow Mules ( which is what they use their vodka for) the tour guide asked if I was interested in a job, he said you must make beer cause I've never had any tour members ask such specific questions before, I just nodded and said......I dabble some.

Fun was had by all, and I'll get some pics downloaded soon. Thanks for playin along."
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:47:23 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
really enjoyed the blow by blow. Wish I were there
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:38:01 PM(UTC)
heeler

"I found a few minutes to add some pics, I thought this would be of some interest as to why the bigger boys would fight the hobby distiller going legal. Not that we would take any bussiness but every drop counts I guess. This is their gin and brandy still
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:49:24 PM(UTC)
heeler

"These are the 1500 gallon stills that are on hand I hope you can see the glass parrot container on the side. As the tour guide was rolling I asked how big the boiler was and he quickly said 1500 gallons but we dont get that much alcohol from it. They all had that dumbfounded look on their faces ( me included ) just so they wouldn't know that I really know how it all works. hehehe. I'm really good at playing dumb I guess.
They let us smell some heads and tails and of course everybody said oooohhhh that's awfull, again so did I. Then I asked how are the boilers heated to make a run? Is there a coil inside that has steam going through it??? That's when HE got a dumbfounded look and said, uuhhh yeah I think so. I must admit it was kinda fun playing dumb and watching it unfold, my wife asked.....why do you do that????? No harm no foul.

In the bottom pic you can see the SS mashtun - he called it the grain cooker..

[URL=http://s921.photobucket.com/user/heelroper/media/018.jpg.html]UserPostedImage[/URL[URL=http://s921.photobucket.com/user/heelroper/media/016-1.jpg.html]UserPostedImage[/URL"
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:57:09 PM(UTC)
heeler

"This is their future whiskey or bourbon in the brand new barrells. Oh he also asked, does anybody know what has to be to call it bourbon? I was about to raise my hand and the misses grabbed my arm, then skrunched her face with that look that ment hush.....he got everything right except it has to come from Bourbon Co.Kentucky. We did give a little giggle at that moment.:) In the back of this pic is the SS fermenters that ferment at room temp, and it was pretty danged hot in there to me. I bet they circulate cool water through them somehow......another trade secret.

UserPostedImage"
Offline RCRed  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:43:13 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Great stuff, Heeler!!

R side of the 1st pix in Post #4.. Those plastic liquid pallets are fantastic for cooling tanks. I have several. They are also good for holding 338 gals of drinking water for six months at a pop Wink
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:46:55 PM(UTC)
heeler

"I wish I had a few, although I dont know what I would do with them. This distillery is very green, any liquid waste they have they take out to the sugar cane grower fields and use as fertilizer, in the end it's all just water anyway. When they made whiskey they took the slop with the grains in it and fed that to the farmers cows which of course made the farmer happy, you know free cow feed.
They also store the vodka in one of those until it's bottled and packaged for sale.
Turns out this structure was reappointed as a distillery and it was perfectly suited for it, it used to be an ice house so the floor is extra thick for the fork lifts and such. All the equipment you see is extra heavy I'm sure, one of those stills with 1500 gallons in it is 12,000 lbs. You know 8 lbs per gallon x 1500 gallons."
Offline RCRed  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:39:01 AM(UTC)
RCRed

What you do wif them... *heh*

Fill with 338 gals of drinkable water, add 28 oz of bleach, and forgit about 'em for 6-8 months... If something should happen where there's no water for a time (Hurricane, etc), you have enough water for two for 6 months :) We can get them around here for 85 USD for food grade... 60 for non-food grade (cooling tank - water never gets too hot).

Living rural is great an all, but one has to think of things like this - no masses around to politically drive restoration of services Wink

Btw, you saw the EPA is moving to stop folks from giving spent grain to farmers as feed?
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 1:01:57 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

Nice! Those big Vendomes must a cost a pretty penny.
Offline heeler  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:41:57 AM(UTC)
heeler

the tour guide said the big ones were $250,000 each and the little one was $40,000, now knowing that WHO WANTS TO START A DISTILLERY?????
Offline heeler  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2014 11:58:42 AM(UTC)
heeler

"This is the neutral vodka that they sell and it's as close to the neutral that I make as it can get........only $28 a bottle so we got a 2 pack box so we could give one to our horse sitter (she kept an eye on our horses whilst we were gone)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 06, 2014 9:50:47 AM(UTC)
heeler

Man I had forgotten how good 40% or 80 proof is...we made Bloodymary's with some of this today and I think I'm gonna cut some of mine (Gerber Neutral I mean) to 80 proof just to see.
Offline RCRed  
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 06, 2014 10:04:17 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Horses? You got Horses! Man after my own heart there... :)

You know this brings up a point. I have also found that the sweet spot on flavors is right around 80 too, esp. with the SF. Most tastings seem to prefer the 80's over the 90 and say the 70's lack bite of after effect on the palate.
Offline heeler  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2014 2:41:17 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Horses, yep, 3 at last count....I rodeo for some of my income, team rope actually. More addictive than stillin...

I always leave my hooch at 100 proof but this might change my thinking....

and as to the high proof stuff, you and I see lots of folks come on here and talk all that smack about how....me and my grand pappy just love the 190 proof....bullony!!!!!!!

I bet most if not all of us have tasted it (180-190 I mean)..... but can't REALLY stomach more than a taste or two before it's on it's way back up. And so it should be that way, our bodies are telling us something.. hopefully there aren't many that will make that mistake more than once."
Offline RCRed  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2014 3:00:56 AM(UTC)
RCRed

BION, i hardly ever sip.. I'm too durn busy here with my little piece of God's earth and my music work to spend too much time admiring the shed wall in a haze Wink spoon testing's enough to tell me no way, it needs temperin' to be gentle Wink

Love Horses... Back up in Ks, I had a very nice Arabian I rode a lot. They'd taken a dressage animal and tried to cowboy him. I got him when he was an emotional mess and we learned there was a better life together :) God what a buddy he was... I tell ya, that's a great thing to have in this life.. He spent out his days riding with an Aussie saddle and on a 1400 acre lake preserve area. Never saw a horse that could pivot at full gallop (always announced by a flying lead change) like he could.. And you'd best be ready for it :)
Offline gazou19  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2015 3:24:54 AM(UTC)
gazou19

Albania

i just want to say hello to every one . . this is my firs post .