logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mad Mike  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:28:11 AM(UTC)
Mad Mike

Groups: Registered

New to the site and distilling. I have a 6.5 gallon sugar wash going with Turbo 24. I was just wondering if anyone filters their sugar wash prior to distilling and if so what do you use to filter it? I realize many on here do not like the turbo yeasts, however, after reading the instructions I thought this would be simplest as a beginner. Just finished constructing a VR still. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:30:55 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
no need to filter a sugar wash. Just rack it off the lees
Offline Mad Mike  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:17:28 AM(UTC)
Mad Mike

Thanks Dieselduo. I don't mean to sound too ignorant, still learning the lingo. What does that mean, "rack it off the lees"? Thanks again
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:25:40 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

The lees are the dead yeast hulls along with any other solids in the wash that fall out of suspension and settle on the bottom of your fermenting vessel after fermentation is complete... also sometimes called the "trub" in brewing. Racking just means to siphon the liquid off into your boiler without disrupting the "lees" on the bottom of the fermenter. Get as close to the bottom as possible without sucking up any of the crud. That way you don't have to worry about your heat source (burner or electric heating element) scorching any of those solids and putting off-flavors in your distillate.
Offline Mad Mike  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:34:22 AM(UTC)
Mad Mike

Thanks to both of you! That is about as simple of an answer as I could ask for. Once I hear the lingo and definition I will be A-OK.
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:59:59 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I usually strain mine to remove any additional solids that might not have fell to the bottom during the clearing process. I use either some cheesecloth or some grain bags that you can get from any home brew shop. It's really not nessecary to do this, but I like to take extra precautions to make sure my batch is in good shape before distilling.
Offline Mad Mike  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:54:29 AM(UTC)
Mad Mike

Knightmare1015, I appreciate your input. My thinking is, "will it hurt anything if I do strain it"? I guess I will decide my best course of action based upon you all's input. My first wash is now done working and I am going to wait a couple days until it settles, syphon it and give it a run. Pray for me!!!!
Offline heeler  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 1:29:21 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I concure with everyone else, it wont hurt a thing to strain it through some type of filter. In this case it's just not necessary, you said it was a sugar wash so there shouldn't be anything to strain out of the wash but of course strain if you must. IMHO time is your best friend in this particular case, your wash will not be totally transparent anyway and that cloudiness will not filter out anyway but dont fret about it. Try to leave the bed undisturbed whilst removing it from the fermenter and then strain it into your boiler. Once you've got a few runs under your belt you'll see what we're all talking about.
Offline Mad Mike  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 8:02:40 AM(UTC)
Mad Mike

Thanks Gents.