logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline paul  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 01, 2014 5:44:55 AM(UTC)
paul

Groups: Registered

My temp is still not going above 72. I blew the hoses out and turned the gas up. I just stilled heads and tails over and the temp did not go above 172 and the alcohol came out with a yellowish cast to it. Also how many times can you use the copper mesh when you are stilling. I need help. This is getting discouraging. I was doing fine until my last couple of times I stilled. Cursing
Offline cczero  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 01, 2014 5:53:25 AM(UTC)
cczero

I can't say how many times the mesh is good for but can say I've done 58 stripping runs and 12 or so spirit runs. I have the hicap PSII and have never had any problems with the distillate looking yellow. I get most of my output from 172-174. Once I to 180+ I shut it down. My spirit runs are usually 90-93 ABV and collect in pint jars. I just do sugar washes.
Offline RCRed  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 02, 2014 12:31:47 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The mesh is good forever - you may want to clean it after a number of runs as it gets pretty black... Just soak it in citiric acid and water about a half hour - bright and good as new... As to how many runs is a matter of opinion.. Some folks never clean the mesh, others are anal like me and clean it every three months or so..
Offline cczero  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 02, 2014 3:53:04 AM(UTC)
cczero

Hey RCRed, I picked up some citric acid this morning. The stuff in the pickling isle. Say2 1/2 tsp ca to 1 pint h2o. Is that about what you use? The last time I cleaned my copper was with a mild vinegar solution on a slow boil.
Offline RCRed  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 02, 2014 4:12:32 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Sounds about right... I use about a 1/4 cup for about 3 gals of water in a 5gal bucket and I leave it soaking for a day...
Offline John Barleycorn  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 02, 2014 6:46:42 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I've used both vinegar and citric acid. I prefer the citric acid so I don't smell like a salad for the rest of the day. Wink

It's been a while, but I believe I was using a tablespoon per gallon of warm water. Both (vinegar/citric acid) do a good job. Lemon juice (like RealLemon) is good in a pinch ... but it's more expensive.

I'm with Red on the periodic cleaning. I'm not sure it's necessary if you rinse it well after each use ... but at least it makes me feel better.