logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline scotty  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2014 12:38:32 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"Thinking that splashing the wurt adds enough oxygen.----- 8 to 10 PPM is the recommended amount for proper yeast growth etc. Lots of splashing will give about 2 PPM. An aquarium pump with a diffuser stone will give about 5+ if I remember correctly. Even extended bubbling will not get us into the desired range. I was looking at oxygen testing equipment and the cost is a mere thousand dollars and up. LOL LOL

I see this fish tank testing kit.
http://www.amazon.com/Sa...words=oxygen+testing+kit

I don't know how to convert the range that the kit will test or even of it will work for us

CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE. Any thoughts will get the idea going in the right direction."
Offline captinjack  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2014 3:32:30 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Groups: Registered

I am using this system that puts pure oxygen into the liquid just before pitching the yeast. so far I am having excellent results, I just do about a 20 second blast and it's done. I get the oxygen bottles at lowes in the welding section... I've seen other systems from other suppliers that use all hose but this one has a stainless tube with the stone attached that is ridged and is easy to move around through the liquid...

http://www.williamsbrewi...ION-SYSTEM-P699C106.aspx
Offline John Barleycorn  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2014 5:14:40 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"I've been thinking about getting an aeration system (aquarium pump, sanitary filter and S/S air stone) for quite a while, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Not because I don't believe it will help, but because I haven't been motivated enough. I make a fair amount of beer and cider. With the beer, splashing between buckets about six to eight times seems to work just fine. I've never had a stuck (or bad) fermentation.

With the cider, I've had a few batches that had rhino farts but I only had to discard one batch ... all of the others resolved themselves and tasted just fine. And although the batch that I discarded was fermented with a yeast that had high O2 requirements, I'm not convinced that inadequate O2 was the culprit ... it seemed to be the most likely culprit ... but I'm just not convinced it was the _only_ culprit.

So based on my experience and the way I do things, I don't believe an aeration system is necessary to have a healthy fermentation ... the splashing from bucket to bucket seems to work just fine. But I do believe it would be a nice addition and could potentially make a difference in some situations. And it would certainly be less strain on me, never mind the yeast.Wink"
Offline RCRed  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2014 6:08:49 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Cap'n.. Now I know where my allowance for next month is goin... Wink
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:11:22 AM(UTC)
scotty

Originally Posted by: captinjack Go to Quoted Post
I am using this system that puts pure oxygen into the liquid just before pitching the yeast. so far I am having excellent results, I just do about a 20 second blast and it's done. I get the oxygen bottles at lowes in the welding section... I've seen other systems from other suppliers that use all hose but this one has a stainless tube with the stone attached that is ridged and is easy to move around through the liquid...

http://www.williamsbrewi...ION-SYSTEM-P699C106.aspx

Jack. How did you arrive at the 20 second burst time? :)
Offline The Mongoose  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 24, 2014 5:38:40 PM(UTC)
The Mongoose

I have used an aquarium pump, with a small ss stone for a few years, it does help you get a faster, and more vigorous fermentation. For the sanitary filter, I use a pill bottle, (about 2" long and maybe 1" dia.) with holes drilled into the cap and bottom so the tubing fits real snug. When I get ready to brew I'll clean the bottle out with alcohol and fill with cotton balls. Never had any infections.
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 24, 2014 10:52:10 PM(UTC)
scotty

Thanks for the filter idea :) I use the aquarium filter too.