logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Backwash  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 07, 2014 6:53:06 AM(UTC)
Backwash

Groups: Registered

I have been thinking on the rerunning of heads and tails and have a question on the concept. I get that the congeners and other by products make the heads tails undesirable in a finished product. But if these compounds are so tough to separate in the first run, what would make it easier to pull the good alcohol out of subsequent runs. Does the additional alcohol in the next wash make the residual alcohol left in the feints easier to extract. Probably thinking too much but trying to make sense about all the processes and the chemical basis for each. B.
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 07, 2014 7:03:11 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I usually put the last 1/2 of the heads and 1st 1/2 of the tails back into the next run discarding the rest. Seems to scavenge more hearts in the subsequent run.
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 1:43:07 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: Backwash Go to Quoted Post
I have been thinking on the rerunning of heads and tails and have a question on the concept. I get that the congeners and other by products make the heads tails undesirable in a finished product.[COLOR=""#FF0000""] But if these compounds are so tough to separate in the first run, what would make it easier to pull the good alcohol out of subsequent runs.[/COLOR] Does the additional alcohol in the next wash make the residual alcohol left in the feints easier to extract. Probably thinking too much but trying to make sense about all the processes and the chemical basis for each. B.

Really these compounds are not that tough to seperate on the first run. Now if you dump them back in for the next pass through the still then there they come again and you still need to cut them out and throw them away that time.
If your collection the first pass through was not that good or you smeared the cuts then you may indeed get something from the next pass that you want to keep but-but-but ******** heads are heads and tails are tails no matter how you slice it. So if proper cuts and collections are made theres really no gain (IMHO) by running them through again, of course if thats what you want to do you certainly can."
Offline Backwash  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 3:24:13 AM(UTC)
Backwash

Heeler, That is kinda my basis for the question. Is there any advantage to save feints and do an all feints run. That would be after you have decided what to blend back into hearts. Seems like there would be not much meat left on the bones. B.
Offline RCRed  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 3:33:51 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
From my read, it's just not that exact - the demarcation line is not always clearly defined between the various phases of the distillation run, and while similar, most runs are always a bit different - so one run it might be well segregated, another where some smearing happens and you want to clean it up, or a strip run, etc...

I have had a real porker I just tossed in the solvent jug, where others I thought were gonna end up that way aired out and were better, yet, I reran them any way to clarify it. Mostly because I was rushing in the first run. As heeler has indicated on a cleanly cut batch, heads/tails are just that. Some tails might be used for blending for a flavor profile (from a pot run).. all depends. ... This is the natural part we scientists just marvel at BigGrin
Offline Backwash  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 4:38:35 AM(UTC)
Backwash

RC Red, Never been one to just accept facts as given. Always want to understand the science behind the statement. Was having trouble getting my head around the heads/tails reuse theory and wanted to get some more info. This hobby seems to have a lot of "sensory" aspects as opposed to hard science. This is what makes it more of an art than a science. Like wine making, The living component of the hobby and its many variables and outside influences makes it interesting. You never know whats going to happen to the next batch. Thanks, B.