logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Backwash  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 06, 2014 1:14:43 PM(UTC)
Backwash

Groups: Registered

"After reading many posts on making cuts and blending product, I would like to know how many jars one would need and what size for a typical 6 gallon run. I want to be sure I have enough jars to make it thru the run and if some larger jars would be OK to use in the middle of the run (hearts collection).
What would be a good size container to store heads/tails for later run? Thanks, B."
Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 06, 2014 11:31:08 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Heya Backwash

6gals of wash
what potential %abv? I personally bought two cases of pint jars, numbered them with a sharpie, and I use them o'er and o'er agin... 8 pints = 4 quarts = 1 gal - and you will prolly get right around that outa 6 gallons of wash, leaving you jars 13-24 for overage... BigGrin my typical run is a 5 Gal and I get around 11-12 pint jars, depending...

Now, once cuts are made, you need other jars for dilution and aging, or some large feints/storage containers (I use glass gallon wine jugs). It is advisable to allow two days to air each container (Don't forget to cover), then use nose/palate to determine your real cuts, and at that time, transfer from the "run" jars to longer term storage - Jars/Jugs, etc, by classification...Heads and tails to feints, hearts to storage or whatever, and the fore's into the fire ant kill jug... Wink
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 07, 2014 5:21:25 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I think it comes down to how you want to collect your distillate. If you've made enough runs to know where each partition or division comes into play then you could minimize your count.
Once you KNOW your in the hearts you could go with a few bigger jugs and just collect until you feel your close to the end of that portion of the run, but change back to the smaller one's BEFORE you are out of the hearts so you can make good clean cuts tomorrow.
I'm sure there are other ways but this works for me."
Offline Backwash  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 07, 2014 6:40:15 AM(UTC)
Backwash

Thanks for the tips. Not knowing how the product will come out and the proportions of each, I am planning on using 24 small jars (pints) and only filling 1/2 way. Then the airing and sniff test. Then have some bigger jars to recombine the good jars of hearts, and combine the heads and tails in bigger jugs for a later feints run. B
Offline DRIFTER_015  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 07, 2014 10:25:47 AM(UTC)
DRIFTER_015

I have 4 dozen numbered 250ml jars that I use.
Offline Backwash  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 07, 2014 10:53:29 AM(UTC)
Backwash

Drifter, That's enough to catch a little over 11.35 gallons of distillate. That would be a good sized wash volume. But at a little less than a cup, you could make some close cuts without too much carryover. B
Offline Hokey  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 07, 2014 1:00:19 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Backwash Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the tips. Not knowing how the product will come out and the proportions of each, I am planning on using 24 small jars (pints) and only filling 1/2 way. Then the airing and sniff test. Then have some bigger jars to recombine the good jars of hearts, and combine the heads and tails in bigger jugs for a later feints run. B

That is how you should start. I did not switch to collecting hearts in larger jars till about the 5th or 6th run of a particular wash.
Offline RCRed  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 12:48:04 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: Hokey Go to Quoted Post
That is how you should start. I did not switch to collecting hearts in larger jars till about the 5th or 6th run of a particular wash.
Same here...Early on, it's just a learning thing and small increments are always betta Wink As you get more and more experience with a certain wash/recipe and how it runs in your equipment you can change up, but best to take it slow and get yer bearings first. I still use no larger than pint containers, it's easy to figure out what goes where two-three days down the line.

Note: Pure EtOH spillage down the side of a jar will wash that sharpie mark clean off the glass (usually onto your fingers) so be prepared to put your numbers back on the jars after a few uses Wink

(Now, where in hell did I put Jar #4?)
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 1:30:05 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: Backwash Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the tips. [COLOR=""#FF0000""]Not knowing how the product will come out and the proportions of each[/COLOR], I am planning on using 24 small jars (pints) and only filling 1/2 way. Then the airing and sniff test. Then have some bigger jars to recombine the good jars of hearts, and combine the heads and tails in bigger jugs for a later feints run. B

That statement tells me that maybe you need to read up on cuts and collection before you start your next run, I bet that would help build confidence in that area."
Offline Backwash  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 3:42:05 AM(UTC)
Backwash

Thanks, I have not made a run yet and wanted to make sure I had enough small jars to catch everything without having to throw some small jars together before I had a chance to check their character. I will read up more on cuts/collections so I understand the whole process. Thanks for helping a newbie. B.
Offline cabobill  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 2:32:15 AM(UTC)
cabobill

"brother rc,
i think you hit the hooch to much the other nite lol
8 pints to the gallonWink"
Offline RCRed  
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 4:06:13 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: cabobill Go to Quoted Post
brother rc,
i think you hit the hooch to much the other nite lol
DumbAssRcRed wrote:
12 pints = 4 quarts = 1 gal

8 pints to the gallonWink
it ain' the EtOH... back went out lifting in sacks ... dr. visit... meds... etc...

thx for the correction... BigGrin
Offline cabobill  
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 5:04:20 AM(UTC)
cabobill

"
Originally Posted by: RCRed Go to Quoted Post
it ain' the EtOH... back went out lifting in sacks ... dr. visit... meds... etc...

thx for the correction... BigGrin

so sorry about your back,my gf has back problems,she uses a tens unit on hers,some times some pain meds.they make her a dumb ass.take care bro!"
Offline RCRed  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 5:55:08 AM(UTC)
RCRed

They told me to use a Tens unit too, but I rigged a side feed off the RSC and Whoosh! Wink