logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dieselduo  
#21 Posted : Monday, May 05, 2014 7:40:47 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I've never had a problem with scorching with a cloudy wash using an internal element. The only time I've had scorching is when I used to use propane. I agree with Randy refrigeration will clear it right up
Offline countryboy  
#22 Posted : Monday, May 05, 2014 10:05:13 AM(UTC)
countryboy

Ok thanks. My primary fermenter is too big to fit in my fridge but my canning cellar is cool so ill stick it in there for 24 and then run it. Thanks for the replies.
Offline RCRed  
#23 Posted : Monday, May 05, 2014 3:40:13 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm in the wait three and see crowd.. Whether it'd be cracked corn or sweet feeds, I pretty much wait three days to clear. I use both modes - burner and element (not in the same unit, mind you.. :) ) but I am just particular about clearing like RandyM above. For a while I used a product to help sugar washes clear, now I just be patient.
Offline heeler  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, May 07, 2014 5:11:41 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Ya know just for clarification sake....cloudy and unsettled are two very differnet things IMHO. I dont think I make any wash that is not ---- cloudy---- when it's added to the boiler, settled yes but still you cant see the bottom of the fermenter. You know, NOT transparent...
So, all I'm saying is cloudy will prolly never go away and should be fine but just make sure all the solids (or as much as you feel good about) have settled and that should be muy bueno as far as I'm concerned."
Offline countryboy  
#25 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 4:47:38 AM(UTC)
countryboy

I ran my first all grain likker run yesterday. Overall I think it turned out a success. I did wait 48 hrs after I racked out the grains. I ran my PSII HC 15 gallon kettle with a blichmann burner. Ran it low and slow. The run took 10 hrs and I collected 14 pint jars. The first jar (after a half pint of foreshots and a pint of bad smelling heads) was 160 proof. I collected 12 more jars. The last jar was just under 120 proof. I shut her down there because I could see it was starting to get pretty tailsy. The temp was at 201 by that time as well. I let them air out for the night and made my cuts today. After sniff and taste test, I kept jars 2-9. The last few jars all had a stinging rubbing alcohol taste so I didn't want to add them. I combined jars 2-9 (proof was 142) and diluted down to 120 proof. I them separated back into quart jars and added some medium toast oak chips. I added different amounts to each jar, so ill keep you guys posted on which I like better. Overall the likker is pretty good. Its a little bit strong at 120 for me but I can definitely taste the corn flavor and the rye spice. I think it will be really good once it ages a bit and I dilute down to 90 proof.
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#26 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 6:45:23 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

Now comes the hard part... keeping you hands off of it while it ages. You'll be amazed how good it tastes after aging and proofing.
Offline countryboy  
#27 Posted : Friday, May 09, 2014 5:09:20 AM(UTC)
countryboy

I hope it turns out like everybody says it will. An all grain likker is a lot of work. I didn't think it would be so much work lol. Even if it doesn't turn out quite the way I want it to, It was well worth the time and effort just for the learning experience. Ill try and keep my hand off it until it can age. Ill post the results.
Offline countryboy  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:44:04 AM(UTC)
countryboy

Well its been almost 2 months and the likker is coming along very nicely. Ive got 4 jars with different amounts of medium toast oak chips in them to see which one I like the best. So far they all have turned a real nice brown and mellowed down nicely. I haven't proofed anything down yet and its already really good. I like the jar with the most oak chips (quart jar with 1/2 cup of chips). I am really quite surprised on how much different ageing on oak changes the flavors, aroma, and smell. I don't know how much longer I can hold off from drinking them lol.
Offline heeler  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 5:05:02 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Remember, 80% of the flavor and 100% of the color comes from the barrell that they use to age the whiskey in, Jack - Jim - Makers it's all done the same way, just something to ponder.
Offline countryboy  
#30 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:05:18 PM(UTC)
countryboy

I decided to proof down one jar and see how it turned out and it was really good. Cut it down to 90 proof and am very happy with the results. Definitely can taste the rye spice and it has a smooth after taste. I also decided to take another jar and add two vanilla beans to see how that comes out. They've been in the jar for about a week and already gives a hint of vanilla on the backside of the rye spice. It might not be for everybody's palate, but I think I like it.