logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 5:45:48 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"This is a thread that describes how I cut and proof the final distillate. I'm gonna add some pics too. I'm not saying my way is the only way but give it a read and see if maybe you can pick up anything that might help you the next time you cut and proof your likker.

Now remember this is after stillin and the collection and then waiting for about 24 hours for it to air out and then the process was started.
The distillate is layed out in the collection order and I'm gonna start sniffin and seperating the <<<<CUTS>>>>Tongue
This was a 5 gallon wash of Gerber Neutral............thx dieselduo...... I know you see 9 jars but there aren't 9 cuts just 4....you'll see.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 5:49:25 AM(UTC)
heeler

"I know this is foreshots and most of the heads but I just wanted to point out that just cause it's higher proof dosen't make it sweet tasting hearts.
This is the first jug collected (the blue one) and we all know that the first stuff is the foreshots, but I collected all the fores and heads in one.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 5:55:19 AM(UTC)
heeler

"After sniffin and moving things around to find out how the cuts play out this is what I got,
UserPostedImage
On the left is the fores and the heads [COLOR=""#FF0000""](that's cut #1&2)[/COLOR] -- in the middle is the hearts--([COLOR=""#FF0000""]that's cut #3)[/COLOR] and the single is the tails [COLOR=""#FF0000""](that's cut#4). [/COLOR]I never really run down into the tails cause I dont like it but if you do well thats up to you. But you can see how it's coming together after I've seperated the cuts.Cool"
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 5:59:05 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Now after the cuts were made this is how it played out,
The little jars that I called hearts I've added to the qt jars and I'm satified that my hearts are now combined.
Again, you can see how the cuts are coming together for the finish.:) In my opinion almost 2 quarts of the best of the run is just right for me, I know others will say man that's not enough but I know this is the best of my run so I'm satified.Cool
The two jars on the far left were tossed out and the one on the far right was also tossed. I dont keep that stuff.UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 6:11:12 AM(UTC)
heeler

"The next one shows where I started collecting what I think is the start of the hearts but of course I won't know until tomorrow when I make my cuts....and of course that will fall off as we collect and combine the hooch.Blushing
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 6:14:23 AM(UTC)
heeler

"This is how far I go into the tails cause I just dont like the smell or the taste, now some keep going and add that to the next run and that's not wrong I just dont want to be bothered with keeping it around that long but if you do -- cool.
You can see it's 90 proof so I'm done with collection.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 6:20:27 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Now comes the proofing...since this thread is supposed to be about proofing and cutting I'm sure your thinking....get on with it!!!
You can see I've added all the hearts to the pitcher and used the hydro beaker to get a proof [COLOR=""#FF0000""]--BEFORE--[/COLOR] I add any water to cut it.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 6:22:49 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Well to my dismay It was only about 128 proof but no worries it'll have to do and there's nothing I can do about it anyway so it's good enough this time. Ya know I could add this back to the still and re-distill it and that would [COLOR=""#FF0000""][/COLOR][COLOR=""#FF0000""]CONCENTRATE THE DISTILLATE to make a higher proof[/COLOR] but I'm not gonna this time.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 6:33:48 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Ok so, that's how I do it, if you aren't sure of your method or if you just want to try another way givera go sometime, this may work for you too.
I didn't have to add water to make the proof lower this time (most times I do) but if I did it would have been small amounts, stirred up good and another hydro reading taken after each addition of water, until I got the proof I was seraching for (usually 130 is what I keep it at) but it just happened to fall really close to my final destination so it is what it is this time.

So I hope this helps those that need it and gives the rest of ya'll something to look at.......peace out.

All coments welcome,thankyou and -- stay thirsty my friends."
Offline dieselduo  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 6:41:41 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
nice thread heeler. was wondering what was the starting charge in your boiler
Offline heeler  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 9:43:05 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
nice thread heeler. was wondering what was the starting charge in your boiler

this was a 5 gallon wash of Gerber but I only got about 4.5 gallons out of the fermenter due to the lee's that I left behind, I didn't want any of the solids in my boiler. I usually get just a tad more hearts but maybe I was in too much of a rush and didn't let finish all the way. My ferm/chiller might have been too cool and it slowed down the fermentation too, oh well just under 2 quarts is an ok run. The airlock was quiet and still but oh well, better luck next time huh...and thanks for the kind words!!"
Offline dieselduo  
#12 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 9:54:40 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
you should sell some how to videos lol. I'm sure a lot of folks enjoyed the pictorial. How about next one on making the mash/wash of your choice
Offline heeler  
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 05, 2014 2:25:28 AM(UTC)
heeler

"I decided to make some Rootbeer likker so I need some 100 proof, so I'm gonna extend the lesson, more cutting and proofing to come.
In this pic I've gathered what I need to make it happen so lets go.....

I've got my alcohol hydrometer and beaker, my pitcher, the water I use and the likker of course and remember it's still 128 proof.

UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 05, 2014 2:28:00 AM(UTC)
heeler

"You'll have to take my word for it that it is still 128 proof,sorry for the clarity but this is just to continue on.

UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#15 Posted : Saturday, April 05, 2014 2:30:57 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Ok so everythings back in the pitcher and I'm adding water --- just a bit for now maybe more after a hydro reading. That's a 500ml bottle and before I started I took a big swig so I wont get that much but let's see how it goes..
After adding the water I'm gonna givera a good stir to make sure it's mixed good and then take another reading.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#16 Posted : Saturday, April 05, 2014 2:33:32 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Nope not yet it's only 110 so put it back in the pitcher add a little more water and givera stir...

UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 05, 2014 2:42:41 AM(UTC)
heeler

"There ya go, that looks about right so it's back in the pitcher. Remember that jug of water was a 500ml bottle that was only 3/4 full so if you want to use an actual number in the equation I dont have it to give you but I dont do it that way anyway, I just pour and measure, hahahaha.... I've got a cool looking jug with the little finger holder on it that I use when I'm makeing rootbeer so I'm gonna get all that stuff together but that's another thread, anyway you can see it dosen't take a whole lotta water to cut your hooch and I know there are calculaters (on the Brewhaus home page is a great one) and I have read where folks say I just shake it good and read the bead and then some that say I just collect EVERYTHING and that makes the proofing cut for me (man how shitty would that be???) but this is just another way of getting a desired result so try it sometime you may just like it.

UserPostedImage"
Offline TIMR5022  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 3:27:05 PM(UTC)
TIMR5022

Okay thanks for the dilution process. Can you provide greater detail on how you cut the proof. Like type of water, ratio to get to 80 proof from 160 proof. Thanks
Offline John Barleycorn  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2014 2:23:25 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: TIMR5022 Go to Quoted Post
ratio to get to 80 proof from 160 proof.

The ratio depends on the temperature of your base, the temperature of your added water, and the type and calibration of your hydrometer. But since we're hobbyists a point here or there is just noise -- we won't have the tax man breathing down our necks for a bad calculation on 20000 proof gallons.

Regardless, the ratio to dilute 80 abv to 40 abv is roughly one-to-one (one part 80 abv to one part water). This will end up slightly higher than 80 proof, but that's why heeler's method is so reliable. BigGrin

If you really enjoy the math, get a copy of the ""Gauging Manual"" ... or at least Table 6. From there you can look things up in the table & do some calculations. Just keep in mind that Table 6 assumes everything is at 60 F."
Offline admin  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2014 3:20:37 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
There is also a free proofing tool available to HDA members on the HDA website. I believe that it is just being put back on after upgrading our server, but that should be handled this morning.