logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JTR83  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 4:22:19 AM(UTC)
JTR83

Groups: Registered

I am wanting to try some UJSM with malted corn. Can anyone tell me what temp I need to pitch the malted corn?
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 6:41:04 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Please explain pitch the malted corn.
Offline JTR83  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 8:43:08 AM(UTC)
JTR83

Groups: Registered

What temp should my wash beat when I add my malted corn. I have been using EC1118, and adding it ay about 105, and keep it around 77 till it works off.
#4 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 5:59:34 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Originally Posted by: JTR83 Go to Quoted Post
What temp should my wash be at when I add my malted corn. I have been using EC1118, and adding it ay about 105, and keep it around 77 till it works off.

It should be around 100 degrees F. It behaves alot like baker's yeast does, only it produces alot smoother tasting alcohol and takes a bit longer for it to work off (Usually around 10 to 14 days).
Offline admin  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 2:25:17 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
EC-1118 has an optimal range of 50F to 86F, and dies at just under 100F- http://www.lalvinyeast.c...library/EC1118_Yeast.pdf
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 2:39:09 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: JTR83 Go to Quoted Post
I am wanting to try some UJSM with malted corn. Can anyone tell me what temp I need to pitch the malted corn?

With that recipe you dont NEED malted corn for the malt enzyme. But now if you like the flavor of the malted corn no problem, not sure what you are after when searching for the temp range of adding the malted grain in THIS recipe. If you reread the recipe it's just adding very hot or boiling water to the corn to add corn flavor to the water before you start fermentation. You certainly can use malted corn but it's not a must in this recipe.
Remember, this a generational recipe ( it doesn't have to be but thats what the inventor was after) you reuse the lee's in the fermenter and some of the slop from the boiler in the next wash. <<<The next GENERATION if you will>>>>
What makes this recipe so easy is there's no cooking to speak of you just pour hot water over your grain bill and it steeps in the fermenter, and when it's cooled you add yeast.

And to the use of ec-1118, it's a very slow working and finishing yeast but it does work so no worries there, from what I have found it just kinda sizzles along until it's done and I would follow the directions on the envelope."