logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Cajun  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 24, 2014 10:25:36 AM(UTC)
Cajun

Groups: Registered

"well after this past sundays run, we decided to cook for the next 2 weekends so today we just mixed up:

1. Tim Smiths recipe, the best that I could understand it, 80% corn, 10% barley and 10% rye. so heres what we did

35 LBS sugar
16 Gal water
2.5 lbs flaked rye
2.5 lbs flaked barley
10 lbs flaked maize
2 2/3rds packs of prestige distillers yeast with AG
stirred all up and will ferment for 13-15 days

then we mixed up a Sugar Wash

15 lbs sugar
7 Gal water
1 pack of black label turbo yeast from brewhaus - it bubbling already - we'll cook that this sunday coming up.

so far we like the sugar wash shine better, this past weekends run is still airing in my kitchen with coffee filters on top, it smells much better today."
Offline Cajun  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 05, 2014 8:45:10 AM(UTC)
Cajun

we had a epic failure today with this recipe -
1. Tim Smiths recipe, the best that I could understand it, 80% corn, 10% barley and 10% rye. so heres what we did

35 LBS sugar
16 Gal water
2.5 lbs flaked rye
2.5 lbs flaked barley
10 lbs flaked maize
2 2/3rds packs of prestige distillers yeast with AG
stirred all up and will ferment for 13-15 days

when I got home yesterday (friday) it was still fermenting pretty hard, it had been 12 days, the SG was 1.080 and potenial alcohol was 12%, I knew it was not ready but I ran it today anyway - all I got was bad distilled water, I guess I learned my lesson, I guess you MUST let it finish fermenting and clear completely or this may happen?? any input from you experts like Heeler would be appreciated :-)

I have never had a failure so I am kinda confused
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 05, 2014 9:56:18 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I think you answered your own question there pal......""""""[COLOR=""#FF0000""] I know it was not ready but I ran it anyway[/COLOR], hmmmm?? Did you take a gravity reading just to see what it was??? But no matter you said it wasn't ready so I guess you learned that lesson huh? With 35 lbs of sugar and almost 3 packs of yeast it sure would have made likker so whatever it cost you to make that just got pissed away,hahahaha, but that's how we learn.... trail and error. [COLOR=""#FF0000""]You even said 13-15 days to ferment.[/COLOR] Oh well,
have you had success with Tims recipe yet? And did you just pour hot water over the grains and go that route?"
Offline Cajun  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 05, 2014 1:10:50 PM(UTC)
Cajun

Heeler, I was thinking with 35lbs sugar and 3 packs yeast I would at least get likker, but NOT. I put the sugar in the Brute can, I put 7 gallons hot water and dissolved the sugar, then added all grains and stirred real good, added the rest of cold water, stirred and then then added yeast, let it sit then stirred real good again, I just re-made this exact recipe and will try again, it seems good- I screwed up, work gets in my way
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 05, 2014 1:24:00 PM(UTC)
heeler

"Give it more time this time....LET IT FINISH FERMENTING and you will get likker this time. Give it 15 days and dont touch it until that day, now if you have to work and the next time you can still is 19 days well no worries it'll be fine. Take gravity readings or at least give it time to finish. Keep the wash as cool as you can - under 80F if it's possible that will make a better end product.
One question...was the water too hot when you added the yeast, if so you might have killed your yeast."
Offline Cajun  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 06, 2014 2:14:56 AM(UTC)
Cajun

Hey Heeler, Thanks, I will let her finish this time and clear, the water was not too hot when I added the yeast, it was very cool to the touch, so I think I am good. But I got 2 questions.

1. I normally stir it once a day - is that ok?
2. exactly what am I looking for on the SG alcohol meter? less then 1.0 like .090?? I bought the kit from here BH

also I bought 2 bottles of the yeast nutrients from here BH it should be in Monday, I plan to add some - what you think about that? good/bad -thats new to me.

Thanks -Cajun
Offline Hokey  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 06, 2014 6:49:13 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Cajun, You did not say if you re-hydrated the yeast before pitching. i never do if I am using a yeast with AG. I been told the high concentration of AG in the packet is harmful to the yeast if put into a small amount of wash. As far as adding more nutrients The yeast came with some already in the packet and there should be enough in the flaked grains you used. Someone else might tell you different but I don't think more will help that much. Heeler is right. Leave it alone. Some people stir daily, I do not. If the previous batch did not work and you stirred it, do something different and don't stir this one. Just sayin'.
Good luck and have fun
Offline Cajun  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 06, 2014 8:23:38 AM(UTC)
Cajun

Thank you Hokey for your input, I think I will leave her alone, I'll keep ya'll posted
Offline Cajun  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 06, 2014 8:26:57 AM(UTC)
Cajun

oh and Hokey, I always seem to pitch the yeast on top and let it sit about 15 min then stir it up, so that's what I did.

just so I would have something to run this weekend I mixed up:

7 gallon water
19 lbs sugar
1 pack gold label pure 48 turbo yeast

both recipes are going to town right now I got the garage at about 68%F right now
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 07, 2014 1:23:20 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Cajun Go to Quoted Post

1. I normally stir it once a day - is that ok?

Cajun, for whatever it's worth, I never stir my ferments after the yeast is stirred in. Never once in 10 years of distilling. I don't know if this is bad advice or good advice, but it does prove that you can ferment out just fine without ever stirring. I've done this with 5, 10, 20, and 30 gallon ferments. Providing the yeast pitch rate, viability, and temp are correct for your batch size, you will get good fermentation without the daily stirring and have less chance of infection. Also, anything close to 1.000 on your Fg is fine to run (+.010 is ok, -.010 is great).

Good luck!
Offline Cajun  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 07, 2014 1:46:42 AM(UTC)
Cajun

Thank you RandyM, I have not stirred this batch and will not for now on. thanks for the SG info

-Cajun
Offline heeler  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 07, 2014 9:56:17 AM(UTC)
heeler

Cajun, AFTER the airlock stops working do this....put your beer and wine hydrometer (not the alcohol meter) in the wash and see where it settles, if there is a red zone on your's and that's where it lands then you are ready to make hooch, if it dosen't have a red zone then 1.000-.999 is great. That would mean that the yeast has eaten up the sugar and burped out co2 and etoh and your ready to cook, but no worries, after 15days it should be done and ready.
Offline Cajun  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 07, 2014 11:19:29 AM(UTC)
Cajun

I will be watching and in the past the hydrometer told use we were ready, I just wasn't sure about all this SG stuff. also remember I mix up in my garage in 2- 35 GAL Brute cans no airlock, I put new screen over it with a bunge and then use the lid to losely cover it, I try to keep the garage door down and air flow to a min.
Offline heeler  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 08, 2014 1:55:48 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: Cajun Go to Quoted Post
I will be watching and in the past the hydrometer told use we were ready, I just wasn't sure about all this SG stuff. also remember I mix up in my garage in 2- 35 GAL Brute cans no airlock, I put new screen over it with a bunge and then use the lid to losely cover it, I try to keep the garage door down and air flow to a min.

Ahhhh, I didn't remembe that but no worries, just LEAVE IT ALONE (remember the timespan up to 15 days) and you really dont need to get gravity readings because by then it should be done. ---- Your almost there....."
Offline Cajun  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 08, 2014 2:08:42 AM(UTC)
Cajun

Thanks Heeler, I 'll keep ya updated!!