logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Jimmy Highflyer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2014 8:02:54 AM(UTC)
Jimmy Highflyer

Groups: Registered

"I've been using a low power density (long and folds back on itself kind) 240v 5500w heating element on 110v (1350w max, variable via RSC) plus Propane on a 15gal converted beer keg. I kept the Propane pretty low and the element on full during initial heating and it was successful in bringing a 12gal batch up to temp in about an hour. The element alone never made a bubbling sound, and I kept the Propane just high enough to start to hear the hiss boiling bubbles. I have use this to success on the pot still, but recently upgraded to a 3"" PSII and the 1350w element alone is not enough power.

Sooo...I built up a 240v power controller (Thanks Captinjack) and can now use 100% of the 5500w element and have done away with the Propane boost.

My question is - do you guys that have this config just run the element full blast from the start, bring it in slowly in stages, or something else?

The reason I'm asking is that anything above about 12amps creates audible hiss of boiling bubbles. 14 gets louder...18 is popping (large bubbles) and snarling...and the full 22amps is very loud, pops, snarls, and wiggles the column. You get the picture. I realize the bubbles are from localized boiling of the liquid actually touching the element...I just don't know how much of that boil away is allowable.

Thoughts?Confused"
Offline Jimmy Highflyer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:50:40 PM(UTC)
Jimmy Highflyer

Anyone....?
Offline bentstick  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:41:07 PM(UTC)
bentstick

Jimmy I run a 5500 watt element as you have hooked to a controller but 240 volts,as far as your ? goes you will get varied answers,I my self bring it up in stages of about thirds!

It may not make a difference on how it is done but,I do not like to hear all the racket that goes on in the boiler when it is cranked full to heat! Just IMO
Offline Hokey  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:54:40 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Jimmy, I have two 2000 watt elements. i have them both on full till my thermometer at the top of column reads 75 degrees. Then I unplug the top element and turn the bottom one on variable with my RSC and go slow from there. 75 degrees at the top of my still means that it is about to rise very quickly.
Offline Jimmy Highflyer  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 4:30:59 PM(UTC)
Jimmy Highflyer

Thanks guys. I'm kinda shocked that only the two of you chimed in.

Yeah, bentstick, it's the noise in the boiler that I don't like. When it's popping and snarling...it means it's flash boiling the liquid touching the surface of the element. When that vaporizes, that part of the element has no liquid to absorb the heat for a split second until the bubble moves, liquid returns, and repeats the process.

Besides the noise...which is unsettling...I think there is the possibility of element damage.

Anyone else want to chime in with some advice? Anyone using the Camco S-shaped low density element?...is it any better?

Jimmy
Offline flht01  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 1:06:58 AM(UTC)
flht01

Originally Posted by: Jimmy Highflyer Go to Quoted Post
Thanks guys. I'm kinda shocked that only the two of you chimed in.

Yeah, bentstick, it's the noise in the boiler that I don't like. When it's popping and snarling...it means it's flash boiling the liquid touching the surface of the element. When that vaporizes, that part of the element has no liquid to absorb the heat for a split second until the bubble moves, liquid returns, and repeats the process.

Besides the noise...which is unsettling...I think there is the possibility of element damage.

Anyone else want to chime in with some advice? Anyone using the Camco S-shaped low density element?...is it any better?

Jimmy

I've got both types of elements and haven't noticed any significant difference between the two as far as heat up times but do thing the "s" shape element may not have as much audible feedback. I also use 240 volt on my controller most of the time and only use about 3/4 throttle heating up. when I feel the heat starting to climb the column I cut back to around 12 to 14 amps and let it climb up closer to the top before turning it down to the amps I typically run at, around 7 to 8 amps. It takes a lot longer to heat up this way but just makes it a little easier to control the beginning take off rate and eliminates the rapid temperature swings.

next time I run it (may be a while though) I'll test both elements to see if I can "hear" a difference between them, got me wondering now.

Hope this helps
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 1:11:46 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

I recently switched to a low density element. Previously I've only used the cheap home depot 5500w higher density ones. The power depends on your boiler charge. When I make AG whiskies I heat up at 15 or 16 amps until my boiler vapor temp is about 160* F, then go down to about 12 amps to stabilize my column for 30 to 60 minutes, pull my fores and heads, and go back up to 16 amps for the run. I only do this because I'm concerned about the solids in my wash scorching, or the possibility of foaming or puking since I run my whiskey in 1 run through a 4 plate flute. When I make rum or neutrals I fire off at full power (22 amps is all I ever get, really) and drop the power to 16 amps to pull fores and heads, then back up to 18/20 for the run. Even with the higher density elements, I get a year or two before I replace them.

For reference, I'm driving a 26 gallon boiler with a 20 gallon charge most of the time. My flute can take all the power I can throw at it and then some, so depending on how your rig operates (getting it into equilibrium) you might not want to hit it with that much power. As far as the boiler noise, if there's nothing in there to scorch then I wouldn't worry about it. I have a friend who has 2 5500w elements on his 15.5 gal keg boiler and he has full reflux about 30 minutes after fire off. He just switches one off once he's up to temp. That thing makes a racket, but he's all about speed.
Offline flht01  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 12:00:21 PM(UTC)
flht01

Originally Posted by: RandyMarshCT Go to Quoted Post
... When I make AG whiskies I heat up at 15 or 16 amps until my boiler vapor temp is about 160* F, then go down to about 12 amps to stabilize my column for 30 to 60 minutes, pull my fores and heads, and go back up to 16 amps for the run. I only do this because I'm concerned about the solids in my wash scorching, or the possibility of foaming or puking since I run my whiskey in 1 run through a 4 plate flute. When I make rum or neutrals I fire off at full power (22 amps is all I ever get, really) and drop the power to 16 amps to pull fores and heads, then back up to 18/20 for the run....

Are you using reflux with the AG whiskies ?
What are your take off rates?

Apologizes for hijacking the thread.