logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Hokey  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:42:37 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi folks. To start with i know jack about electricity. Could someone tell me what would cause rsc's to melt down. Third one just died. 26 amp controlling 1 2000 watt internal element.
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:18:50 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

a 26 amp rated controller should loaf with a 2KW element. The max draw is 16.6 amps-- I would suspect that the voltage at the receptacle where your RSC is plugged in does not have the full 120 volts available which would cause amperage to get high.

Are you by chance using 220 volts??
Offline Hokey  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:53:04 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Hi Scotty, How you doing? I am not using 220 volts. It is just plugged into a regular receptacle in my garage. It had a meltdown at the end of a run last night and would only work on "full".
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:54:44 AM(UTC)
scotty

I cant see the RSC being the problem. you need to use a volt meter to check the receptacle. Often times in experienced folks have poor connections in a circuit and this creates resistance which will drive the current up. A clamp on meter will not only check your voltage but will enable you to monitor current-- the both are important things.
Offline Hokey  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:28:41 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

I'm going to buy one more RSC. Same as before. Should I make sure the circuit breaker is of a certain size for that outlet? I have a Multi-meter that I bought so my daughters boyfriend could fix something or other. It is not a clamp on. It has a dial and black and red probes. Will that tell me anything?
Offline scotty  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 12:24:34 AM(UTC)
scotty

If the breaker hasn't tripped then you can assume that the current drawn is not more than the breaker rating. BTW what size is the breaker? Use the multi meter to check the voltage at the outlet. Let us all get in on the purchase of the mext RSC-- Among this group we have purchased various units. Perhaps you should go for a different brand at a much higher rating to try and compensate for what may be wrong.
NOTE:--- I just thought of a possibly defective element. Please use the multi meter and set it on ohms and check the resistance of your 2000 watt/120vo;t heater element. 200/120=16.66 amps---- 120=16.66X the resistance of the element. OR120/16.00=7.2 ohms WHICH MEANS the resistance reading of the heater element should be about 7 ohms-- this is very important since we do not know the cause of your problem.
Offline Hokey  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 4:33:59 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Thanks Scotty .(Hey that's my name too). I tested all the outlets and all read 120 volts. I tested the resistance of the element on all three ohm settings of the multi-meter and the highest reading is 1 OHM. Am I correct in assuming that this is probably the issue.
Offline scotty  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 4:51:01 AM(UTC)
scotty

If there is only one ohm then the next worst thing is a dead short== you have solved it as I see it-- get a new heat element and test the resistance first lol--

You forgot to tell me the size of the breaker== I am still suspicious that it is way to large for your application.
Offline Hokey  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 8:18:45 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

It is only a 15 amp breaker. I say that because it has a "15" on the end of the toggle. lol If the problem is solved it was only because of a little help from a friend. New element and controller on the way. Thanks again.
Offline scotty  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 9:29:56 AM(UTC)
scotty

Your problem is NOT solved. Your breaker must be defective-- a 15 amp breaker should not even have allowed you to run a 2000 watt element. It should have tripped every time you plugged the device in. The 2 kW element normally pulls over 16 amps. You burned out the RSCs that are rated at 26 amps. Sooo you must have been pulling way over that. E=I X R so I=E/R OR 120volts/1 amp resistance which would pull 120 amps - where is the 15 amp breaker??

I SURE HOPE SOME OF YOU FOLKS OUT THERE ARE CHECKING TO SEE IF I GOOF ANY WHERE. I don't mind correction.
Offline epicdoom  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:54:30 PM(UTC)
epicdoom

Scotty your correct on your last post I'm not an AC electrical guy I work on high DC circuits but I know enough AC stuff to get by. Another thing to consider is hot plates and internal heaters work by resistance with such devices the heat generated can leach into the power cord the use of extension cords and the like will cause heat to further build in the circuit due to the conductor being longer creating a higher resistance in the conductor caring the load. for your new RSC try coming off your hot plate or element and add the RSC unit in the wiring supplied, basically your gonna splice your RSC unit without its cordage into the cord attached to your heater. This will shorten the conductor lenth and should run cooler. I have melted many wall sockets and cords due to heat build up this way and never once did it trip the breaker I have an electric foundry furnace and learned the hard way with the draw on the circuit you need to run the shortest cordage possible. Damn near burned down my garage lucky for me I forgot me cell phone and went back in to get it just as flames erupted from the power outlet.
Offline Hokey  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 4:17:08 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Thanks guys I'll make sure I use a properly powered circuit and as short a cord as possible. Hopefully that solves the rsc problem.
Offline epicdoom  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 1:40:11 PM(UTC)
epicdoom

I wish you the best getting it figured out, for sure having things melt down is NO GOOD with what we are doing. A few years ago I saw some extension cords that said they were rated for air conditioner units they were beefy so my guess is they had large wires inside to carry the load. I ended up removing my cord and rewiring the hot plate with my RSC spliced in I used very heavy cord cut from an old freezer unit I made the total cord lenth 4 foot and moved my operation close to the receptacle. My garage is set up with a large mill and lathe and my foundry so I had the garage ran on a new 200amp service. The receptacle I use for heavy tools that aren't hardwired is the one that is rite next to the circuit box that's the shortest run of wire in the system. I never liked extension cords even heavy duty ones I just don't trust them. Anything that requires high amp draw get plugged in as close to the breaker as I can get it.
Anyhow Good luck brother let us know how things work out and if I can be of help in any way just shoot me a PM

Semper Fi
Offline BigMo  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 02, 2014 6:18:06 PM(UTC)
BigMo

Man

"I purchased a couple of the AC voltage controllers from E bay and tried to get the them to control voltage with no luck. It says it a AC 220v 10000W voltage regulator speed control. It has a little digital panel and two white buttons to control the output. When hooked up the panel will go from 0 to 100 but the voltage
at 1 to about 23 will read 135 and from 24 to 100 it is 220VAC has anyone made one of these work? It has Four screw connections for input and output and
I noticed on the circuit board the two middle ones are connected to each other. It says it will do 80 amps so my 5500 watt element should be a little over half
capacity. seller has no info or drawings just this label (电源输入 input, 调压输出 output)"
Offline BigMo  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 02, 2014 6:28:21 PM(UTC)
BigMo

Man

"I purchased a couple of the AC voltage controllers from E bay and tried to get the them to control voltage with no luck. It says it a AC 220v 10000W voltage regulator speed control. It has a little digital panel and two white buttons to control the output. When hooked up the panel will go from 0 to 100 but the voltage
at 1 to about 23 will read 135 and from 24 to 100 it is 220VAC has anyone made one of these work? It has Four screw connections for input and output and
I noticed on the circuit board the two middle ones are connected to each other. It says it will do 80 amps so my 5500 watt element should be a little over half
capacity. seller has no info or drawings just this label (电源输入 input, 调压输出 output)"