logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:17:31 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Well it's official I like my likker better than Tim Smiths. I'm not saying it's not good I just thought someone like him would most certainly make better likker than me. I dont really like that heavy corn influence in mine cause I wanna add it to lots of different things. But overall it's pretty good of course. His is sold at 45% and it's nice and mellow with the sniff test and pretty smooth with the sip test. No real heads or tails influence, just the soured corn flavor of real moonshine made form corn and bread yeast.
If you keep it in the freezer it subdues that corn flavor but when it warms up a bit that aroma is there for sure. We compared his 90 proof to my 120 proof and I swear mine was better. I know what your thinking..... but if you get the chance to compare his to yours you might be surprised too. The Climax hooch is good no dought so get cha some, I'm not knocking his at all and I sure wont throw it away....just sayin!!!Blushing
If you look close you can see the bottle is half gone, we had to be REAL sure.Tongue
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:21:08 AM(UTC)
heeler

You still can't buy this in Florida yet and this was one of the VERY first ones. You could say I'm connected.
Offline dieselduo  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:03:43 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I've tried the old smoky it's a 100 proof. I keep mine
90 and like mine better. They sell the old smoky in Fl but nothing to write home over
Offline RCRed  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 9:51:41 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Ole Smoky for me is best used as ant killer... Yuuch
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:54:13 AM(UTC)
heeler

Something I thought about, on the TV show they never talk about the different parts of a run. You know the heads and tails and what needs to be tossed out, or should I say the part that we all know should not be added to good likker. I bet thats why Josh and Bill never make good likker, the producers are letting them figger it out on their own. But still Tim nor Tickle mention the bad stuff and what you should pitch. Oh well again it'l TV we all know better.
Offline RCRed  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:40:30 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Heya Heeler?

Some local brewers here tell me they only toss fores, everythin' else goes in the final proof. I did not believe the fellow, but that's what he was tossin' nonetheless...
Offline NorthernShiner  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:24:21 PM(UTC)
NorthernShiner

Thanks for the review Heeler, I tried to get some of Tim's hooch when I was in Myrtle Beach last week but none of the package stores I checked had any and weren't getting anymore until MaySad
Offline heeler  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:03:47 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: RCRed Go to Quoted Post
Heya Heeler?

Some local brewers here tell me they only toss fores, everythin' else goes in the final proof. I did not believe the fellow, but that's what he was tossin' nonetheless...

Ya know I do believe that happens more than we know, maybe he should join the site and do some homework I bet he would change his mind. I dont like those bits of the run but if they do okay. Hey see if you can get a taste of his and then offer them some of your's....lets see if it makes a difference in the outcome. The latter may be the best ever (just kidding) but you never know."
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:12:15 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Something I thought about, on the TV show they never talk about the different parts of a run. You know the heads and tails and what needs to be tossed out, or should I say the part that we all know should not be added to good likker. I bet thats why Josh and Bill never make good likker, the producers are letting them figger it out on their own. But still Tim nor Tickle mention the bad stuff and what you should pitch. Oh well again it'l TV we all know better.

Yeah Tim mentioned it in season one, and tickle hinted to throwing out the foreshots in season 3, but other than that it's not mentioned when it should be. But that's how TV works.

Originally Posted by: RCRed Go to Quoted Post
Heya Heeler?

I can see doing that if you're doing a stripping run, but not in the final proof. But then again Popcorn Sutton mentioned using the tails in the now famous "the last one" video.

Ya know I do believe that happens more than we know, maybe he should join the site and do some homework I bet he would change his mind. I dont like those bits of the run but if they do okay. Hey see if you can get a taste of his and then offer them some of your's....lets see if it makes a difference in the outcome. The latter may be the best ever (just kidding) but you never know.

We may never know but yeah. That would be cool to see. I can see just throwing out forseshots when you're doing a stripping run, but I can't see using the tails to proof with.
Offline RCRed  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:16:05 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Hey see if you can get a taste of his and then offer them some of your's....lets see if it makes a difference in the outcome. The latter may be the best ever (just kidding) but you never know.
Yes sir, thas exactly what I did.. He was doing a sugarhead, basically water, sugar and table yeast. It wasn't that harsh, and he swore it was 100proof, but I checked it and it was more like low 90's..The ol'e fellow is old school and uses no equipment, save his eye and bubbles...

He got to sample a 1/2 pint of my SF oaked a month and a half (
80 proof ). Said "He couldn't be bothered with all that trouble, nor afford the loss of product by only taking hearts" - !?! However, he continued to swish several swallows of that sweet oaked, and roll it about his jaw... He did not leave the jar with any in it. I leave it to the reader to form an opine.
Offline RCRed  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:02:14 AM(UTC)
RCRed

The gentleman I am speaking about used all BUT fore's for proofin'... I put about as much stock in that TV show as I do the Buffoon at 1600 Penn.

I realize there are times when you do or don't. I always do because it's just the way I approach it. I don't do stripping runs with SF recipe. All low and slow in Pot still mode. I like that flavor profile a lot.
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 04, 2014 6:33:33 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

I went by a local liquor store in xxxxxx over the weekend. I was going to purchase a bottle of Climax shine just to taste it and see what the hype is all about.
Sure enough the store had plenty of it. But this ole boy ain't gonna pay $60 for one bottle of shine when I have plenty of shine at home.
I'll just stick to mine thanks anyway Mr. Smith.
Offline dieselduo  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 04, 2014 7:25:48 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
wow ! sounds pricey. what size is that bottle ?