logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2003 2:19:23 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I would like to here some pros and cons for both of these set-ups. So far a nixon stone design looks more appealing, but I would like to here some opinions.
Thanks
Chris
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2003 3:21:40 AM(UTC)

far simpler to build than either and works with the benefits of the NS is EL head seen at www.homedistiller.org

it can be made even simpler than said on the site, just hacksaw halfway through the column at an angle slot in a sheet of metal and fit a needle valve, then pop in your reflux coil
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2003 3:37:47 AM(UTC)

I made the Nixon-Stone offset head design with valves at the bottom of the condenser to control the amount of distillate returned back to the main column. This design is amazing. I tweak the valves at the beginning and end, but don't touch them during the main part of the run.
I get 95% out of the entire run and ring out every last bit of alcohol. It uses very little water compared to some other designs. I would suggest it highly.
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2003 4:17:32 AM(UTC)

Anon, that is the design a friend of mine has and he seems to really enjoy it also. How tall of a cloumn are you using? I was thinking about a 2.5 foot to a 3 foot cloumn would be enough for 90%.
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2003 5:37:11 AM(UTC)

Chris, I used 'Matt's Offset-Head Still' design for the condenser part from www.homedistiller.org under equipment - Photo's of stills - Offset-Head Stills. I thought the design was simple to build.
The rest of the design came from Gert Strand's website at www.moonshine-still.com
I used the Valved Reflux design and even implemented the beer keg for a boiler.
My column is 4' and the condenser part is 16'. Yes, I need a stepladder to hook water up to the top of the condenser.
All made out of 2' copper.
I use 16 stainless pot scrubbers in the column.
Only tough part was making the condenser coil. I finally used a 1' pipe and heated the 1/4' flexible copper roll with a soldering torch while slowly wrapping it around the pipe. I made a nice 16' condenser double coil,2nd coil wrapped around the first, and it fits nicely into the 2' copper.
I use a stainless pot scrubber stuffed in the top and bottom of the condenser coil.
Nothing hard to build here. Just some hacksawing and basic soldering.
Hope this helps.
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2003 6:35:29 AM(UTC)

Thanks for all of the replies. According to homedistiller.org a 2.5 foot column packed with stainless pads should be enough to get 93% theoretically. I'm not worried about squeezing every last percent out of it so I think I am going with a shorter more transportable column. I am definetly going to use a keg as a boiler.
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2003 1:20:08 PM(UTC)

I BUILT THAT SAME STILL BUT I USED A STAINLESS STEEL MILK CAN FOR THE BOILER. WORKS GREAT
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2003 7:53:14 PM(UTC)

Chris- i would go with a column of at least 1m. my first was about 600mm and i could get 94% at a push, usually 90-92%. my newer one is nearly 1.7m and the purity just doesnt compare. if you have a tall enough column with a good head design you dont need to carbon filter at all. i am not concerned about % rather the purity and with a tall column separation is easier and you can run at a lower reflux ratio to attain the same purity, so it is quicker to collect and is more energy efficient.
of course if you are not making vodka it doesnt matter much. a short column is fine for rum and whiskey.
the calculators on homedistiller are not set in stone.
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2003 11:57:53 PM(UTC)

I agree with Peter. The longer column is worth it.
Not only is the purity there, but it will allow you to collect your run at a very slight trickle instead of individual drops.
After I removed the heads, I used to separate the run into bottles and would label them as they came out ,1, 2, 3 ..,. My feeling was only the middle part of the run was the best vodka and the other bottles were for flavored drinks.
I then processed each bottle ,cut to 50% and carbon, and had an impartial taste test. No one could tell the difference between the bottles. Since then I just lump the entire batch together, knowing the purity is about as good as you can get.
With my shorter column, I used to start my run at 6 am and it would finish around 11 pm.
Now, I finish up at supper time ,5-6 pm, with better output.
#10 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2003 6:40:12 AM(UTC)

if i buy 190 or more proof alcohol at a legal liquor store & cut it in four with water or mix,is that the same as buying a 40 percent alcohol by volume?
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 26, 2003 2:54:04 PM(UTC)

yes and no. when store bought liquor is 40% by volume the other 60% is what gives you the hangover. when you cut your own down to that level you can still enjoy alcohol without the consequences of store bought
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2003 11:47:44 PM(UTC)

190proof is 95%. if you add 4 litres water to 1 litre of 190 proof you get 5 litres of 23.75% alcohol. well not exactly but close, strange things happen with molecules. if you add 1 litre of 100% to 1 litre of water you do NOT get 2 litres of 50%, it comes out under 2 litres and the % is not 50% but it is not far off. molecules are different sizes. if you have a litre of sand and a litre of ping pong balls and mix them up you do not get 2 litres of sand and ping pong balls of half and half each.
#13 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2005 9:24:11 PM(UTC)

I HAVE A REFLUX AND IT IS NOT VALVED TO MY KNOWLDGE IT IS A PRO SERIES II FROM BREWHAUS. WHAT IS THE BENEFIT TO A VALVED SETUPO AND HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT MODIFYING THE ONE FROM BREWHAUS IF IT IS ADVANTAGEOUS