logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline NorthernShiner  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:20:59 PM(UTC)
NorthernShiner

Groups: Registered

"Long time no see, Happy New year Everyone. Just cooked up a 5gal. batch of ""Kev's Rugged Good Looks Irish Red Ale"" today. Picked up all the ingredients at my local B&M brew shop.
Grains:
American caramel, Belgian Aromatic, Debittered Black Malt, Golden Light dry malt extract, Amber liquid malt extract.
Hops:
Fuggle, Williamette
Yeast:
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Liquid yeast.

Whole house smelled delicious, OG is a recommended 1.053 I came in at 1.054 can't wait.
Color: 13SRM, Bitterness 27/IBU Alcohol 5.2%/Vol."
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 3:24:40 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hey NS,

Happy New Year to you and yours as well ... good to have you back.

I guess you're getting ready for St. Patrick's Day? I'm getting ready to bottle a test batch of Irish Red Ale myself. My grain bill is a bit different:

For 5.5 gallon final volume
--------------------------------------
7 lbs Maris Otter
3 lbs 2-row
8 oz Crystal 60L
8 oz Carared
4 oz Roasted Barley

0.5 oz Pilgrim (60 min)
0.5 oz Fuggles (10 min)
Nottingham Ale Yeast

OG 1.053 -- FG 1.011
ABV: 5.5 %
IBU: 23
SRM: 13.9

From my perspective, a red ale is just a brown ale with a ruby color & a touch more alcohol ... and maybe a tad more bitterness. But there's no question that these styles produce aromas from the mash tun that are delightful ... and the aromas from the primary are even better! Creamy delicious!

This is the first time I used Pilgrim and Notty ... we'll have to see how it goes. I usually leave it in the bottle for a minimum of three weeks before I pop the first cap. If it turns out, I'll do another batch for St. Patrick's Day. But the timing is starting to get a little tight for proper aging.

Let me know how your brew turns out. It sounds like a tasty recipe!

BTW: The debittered black malt you're using ... are you using a dehusked carafa? ... or similar? I tried dehusked carafa III in a brown ale ... got rid of some harsh burnt notes, but I lost the chocolate notes as well. Live and learn ... I'll have to bump up the crystal/caramel the next time I use it.

Regards,
--JB
Offline NorthernShiner  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 12:34:46 PM(UTC)
NorthernShiner

Thanks for the info and well wishes Jb, same to you and yours. In regards to the Black malt, it's the whole grain dingemans belgium, not dehusked and only 1 0z. so I think with the 8oz. caramel and 4oz. Belgian aromatic I'll hopefully get some of the roasty chocolate flavors and the Black debittered is in there more for color. Your recipe sounds good too btw, good luck with it, the fuggles hops smell great don't they?
NS
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 8:32:06 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"Just an initial follow-up:

I bottled my red ale this past weekend. The FG was 1.011 ... so right on target. But the color wasn't what I expected.

SRM wise, it looks about right. However, it's more brown-copper ... maybe with just a hint of a sorrel hue ... definitely not ruby or copper-red. Maybe the crystal 60 was too much? I think I'd be tempted to go much lighter with the crystal (20L or lighter), or leave the crystal/carared out altogether & just see how the roasted barley does on its own with the base malts. BTW: I saw a post where someone recommended steeping a sliced beet for 10 minutes! ... apparently the color if fabulously red ... but the residual flavor would make me nervous. I don't get to brew often enough to take that kind of risk.

The uncarbonated flavor was pretty good ... the hops were appropriately in the background and it had a gentle, dry, slightly roasted finish. The malt flavor seemed a little lacking (my efficiency was a bit low on this batch). But it's still young. I'll let it carbonate and give it a month or two before I make up my mind whether I'll bother with another batch.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline NorthernShiner  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:09:22 AM(UTC)
NorthernShiner

Congrats on the bottling JB, way to go on the FG and flavor, yeah my batch will be on the coppery side in color too according to the pics I've seen. There are some really red colored brands out there though. Beets, yeah Idk, they can be bitter and sweet, maybe just a 10 minute bath allows some color to get in without flavor? What about food coloring lol. I'll be checking mine for FG this coming weekend, I'll keep you posted.
NS
Offline NorthernShiner  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 26, 2014 8:18:07 AM(UTC)
NorthernShiner

Today was bottling day!!! FG came right on the money at 1.014, tasted great too ABV will be 5.25%. Color was more copper colored than actual red, I'm assuming that's how it goes but when you think of red.....you know..... Got 48 bottles full that now has to sit for 2 weeks I can't wait!! I have to get another ale pale and start another batch soon so I always have a batch ready to drink lol.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:46:58 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"Congrats on getting it in the bottle! Now if only a six-pack or two can age until St. Patrick's Day ... we'll be in good shape ... perhaps that's just wishful thinking! Wink

I enjoy homebrewing every bit as much as distilling. I really like the flavors you can create ... and the fact that you can drink several without gettting plastered."
Offline NorthernShiner  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 26, 2014 2:43:45 PM(UTC)
NorthernShiner

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Congrats on getting it in the bottle! Now if only a six-pack or two can age until St. Patrick's Day ... we'll be in good shape ... perhaps that's just wishful thinking! Wink

I enjoy homebrewing every bit as much as distilling. I really like the flavors you can create ... and the fact that you can drink several without gettting plastered.

Thanks JB,
Can't make any promises Re: St. Patricks DayBigGrin I gotta pull the trigger on a still already, even if it's a small something just to get started like an 8 gallon electric. I'm enjoying the beer though, already thinking about what I'll try next I'm thinking a Bass Ale clone or something like cherry wheat.
Cheers,
NS